• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
RB26DETT

Geomipmapping problem when I use hardware vertex processing

This topic is 4527 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a terrain engine up and running and it uses geomipmapping to render the terrain with varied detail level based on the distance from the camera. The problem is that it runs absolutely fine with software vertex processing, but when I use hardware vertex processing, many patches do no get rendered and cracking appears. I use a geomipmapping implementation which uses dynamic index buffers (Thanks to 'Promit' for giving me the code). The problem is that when I use hardware vertex processing, adjacent patches with same level of detail do not get rendered properly. One patch gets rendered fine, but the other patch is rendered as if the the other patch is of lower level of detail. Please help me solve this problem... with hardware vertex processing: http://www.angelfire.com/droid/wolf_coder/error.JPG with software vertex processing: http://www.angelfire.com/droid/wolf_coder/noerror.JPG Thanks in advance, RB26DETT [Edited by - RB26DETT on January 3, 2006 11:37:47 AM]

Advertisement
That is pretty unusual - it definitely looks like an indexing error in your index buffer. That would be my first guess - however it works fine in software. Some troubleshooting ideas:

(1) Are you getting any debug output?
(2) What hardware do you have? Also, have you tried a driver upgrade?
(3) What does your vertex shader look like?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!