• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
fathom88

Question On Sockets and VC++

This topic is 4527 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm using socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, IPPROTO_TCP) to create a listen socket for a Ethernet connection. I get thrown lots of data which I place in a queue. I use this data to render an image. Obviously, I render and collect drawing data in separate threads. I've noticed sometime I have missing plot data. I think the render thread sometimes has a lock on the CPU for a short amount of time and as a result the socket reader thread misses out on some data. I may be completely wrong because my knowledge of sockets is not at a high level. Does Windows internally queue up socket data? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Advertisement
Fixed the problem. I used the setsockopt with the SO_RCVBUF flag to increase my buffer. I verified the fix by setting a small number for the buffer. As expected, more of the image was missing. Thanks.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!