What do you use to program your tools?

Started by
22 comments, last by noteventime 18 years, 3 months ago
I need to make a level editor for my 2D tile based game, and I was wondering what people used to write their tools, and why. I was thinking about either using Win32 or MFC. I wanted to know which one was better, or better yet the pros and cons about each. Should I use something else all together? Thanks
Advertisement
I use enviroments that are powerful in both RAD and code, and as easy as possible. Until recently I used Delphi, now I have switched to C#.
I used to use C++ Builder and Visual Basic, lately I mostly use C#.
I am currently using delphi but I plan to use C# for my next project...whatever that turn out to be :)
I'd agree with the previous 2 posters, give C# a shot. Particularly if the tool is for your own use or for very controlled distribution (where you can expect that the end user has the .NET Framework installed).

Personally, I'd use C# for everything if every Windows XP user was *guaranteed* to have the .NET Framework installed, but alas, it's not quite that straightforward. So, I plan on crafting some tools using the Win32 SDK directly, but they're fairly simple GUIs (not full editors).
ohh yeah C#... I think i'll use that.

Thanks for the quick responses!
C# and Windows Forms, because they produce the most stuff [UI elements, collections, utility classes, common IO...] with the least amount of work without causing me pain when I impliment the innard parts that the tool actually does.
C++ .NET
I think with C++/CLI, using C++ for RAD tool development seems much more viable.
daerid@gmail.com
I've been using C# but I'm thinking of switching to C++/CLI since I still feel more comfortable with C++ and .NET for GUI stuff is great. Of course I could always use both in the same program! :)

-SirKnight

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement