• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ASL

How many polys and bones in a WoW-model?

This topic is 4593 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im building on a game-engine with bones. I just got my first readings of a fully textured model containing 61 bones and around 3000 polys. Its counts to 120 fps, but I havent done the vertex shader programming and the readings come from my old laptop with a no-good graficscard (no vertex or pixel shader). So here I am with a number but nothing to compare it with. So my question is this: Does anyone know how many bones and polys a WoW-model contains? Im guessing that my modeller has put a little too many bones in this model...

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:

Im guessing that my modeller has put a little too many bones in this model...

Yeah, I'm guessing so. If you look closely, you'll find that WoW's models have relatively few bones and polys compared to most modern games... even compared to other MMOs (SWG, EQ2...)

I can't speak to the MMO market, like WOW, but I know that 61 bones for most console games (and current PC games like Half-Life 2 or Far Cry) would be in the ballpark -- for "hero" or primary characters. About half that for secondary characters (talking humans here).

Of course, a talented modeller/animator/rigger can do wonders with small poly budgets and small bone counts. That's the trick of WoW... Blizzard has some amazing artists that squeeze as much as they can out of every poly/bone, critical for MMOs since you have a somewhat unbounded number of onscreen characters.

Guest Anonymous Poster
The WoW Night Elf Female player model has the highest polycount of the 16 player models with 19,000 polygons. However, all 19,000 are never drawn at once, as WoW uses four levels of detail in every model in the game, with maybe 10,000 being drawn at most (assuming WoW uses efficient clipping algorithms) at the highest-resoloution model level of detail. Of course, in every Warcraft-branded game since Warcraft 3, the amazingness of the model looks were always in the animation and special effects, Blizzard wants people to be more impressed while playing their game, not when viewing stills and screenshots.
(Model data provided by wowmapview.sourceforge.net/wiki)

Guest Anonymous Poster
As far as WoW characters bone structures are concerned, I would have to say by my ASCII Humaniod WoW character there are 19 bones and 9 joints. At least from what I remember from playing WoW 7 months ago. I do not think that they had all the vertebrae for full back movement, it is possible that they did not have an ankle. I am not sure if they had bones for their hands but if they did it would most likely have been 1 or 2 for the thumb and 2 for all the fingers on that hand.

|
|
o
|
o---o---o
/ | / | o | o
/ | / o o _/ \_ o
| / \ |
o o
| |
| |
o o
| |
| |
---o o---

Yeah 61 is A LOT.
Remember:
There is no real use in putting all the bones of a body in a model. Only basic bones that are important for movement and other action should be added.

I cant think of any game that has characters with 61 bones. But hey im not really that experienced. Just my oppinion.

Aidamina

There are many uses for bones; for example, fixing up the collapsing that happens around shoulders, elbows, knees and hips can be done by mapping the rotation to more than one bone, and some clever vertex weight assignment.

61 certainly is on the high side. It won't fit at all on VS1.0 hardware, and is a squeeze even on VS2 hardware (61*3 constants for the bones alone). It's doable for a main character in something like a platformer; for an MMO where you'll have dozens of characters, it'll probably lead to lag.

Note that "bone" and "joint" is the same thing when it comes to skinned graphics.

I'm not sure about WoW's model specs, but generally it mostly depends on the game genre (FPS vs RTS for example) and the amount of details the model have that needs to be animated (individual fingers, hair, loose clothing like cloak).

You'll be surprised how quickly the bone count would add up while you're rigging a character. Most of my game models have around that amount of bones and some even reaches 90+ bones (or maybe I'm just bad at rigging)! :)

There's a Final Fantasy X/X-2 model viewer floating around and you can see that they use around 60-70 bones for NPCs and over 100-150 bones for main characters. Over 150 bones! Now that's some crazy animation!

Meh, try to fit 206 bones on people :D

Realism is a good thing.

But yeah 60 will get you very accurate main animations...

But just think of the possibilities with 206 bones :D

Actually WoW creature models have about 20-30 bones. Character models have around 95 bones and 40 "attachment" spots. Vertex count for both ranges between 2000-3500.

This is for the Male Human character model,

View #6
LOD: 256
Vertices: 3179

Block E - Bones
[96 records]

NUM ID Flags Parent GeoID Translation Rotation Scaling Pivot point
#0 -1 512 -1 0 0 0 1 22 0 0 0 0 0
#1 22 0 -1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 -0.0772443 0 2.21233
#2 -1 0 -1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 -0.0836863 0 2.02715

etc. These bones are there for everything from the characters movement, to wearing armour and items, cloaks, tabards, and so forth. It all uses the bone system to attach onto and to move the items correctly as the model moves around.

The models also have anywhere from 1 to 150 animations imbedded into the models.

[Edited by - Darjk on January 22, 2006 12:56:27 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!