• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Luckless

[java] Seeking good article on networking with Java

This topic is 4612 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm looking for myself and others that see this, for good articles or something detailing good design of networking Java applications. there are plenty out there, google turns up tonnes, however many leave much to be desired. So, anyone that has found something on networking they think would be helpful to someone working on multiplayer, from 2 player, to setting up a MMO style, please post here. I've done a little networking, but I've never felt my server/client designs were very good. God knows the code was a mess, and is not something I enjoy trying to read. Thank you.

Advertisement
If you want to do strick socket communication (by far the fastest, but the most development) you'd use Java SocketServer

If you want to use Web Services (SOA) you'd find an article on URL and URLConnection (you'll need a servlet container to help you with this). Web services is also defined as XML + HTTP = Web Services.

I think for Instant Messages you might be able to find some good stuff by searching for Jabber. And the Jabber Server. I'm pretty sure this type of communication is governed by the W3C.

I've worked at length with all of these and found they all have their strengths and weaknesses.

Good luck.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!