• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kburkhart84

3dsmax 8 and a starfield

This topic is 4522 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys. I'm a noob when it comes to modelling. I somewhat know how to use Milkshape 3d, but I don't think it will work for what I want, so I'm using 3dsmax. I want to create a starfield that will be used for a high resolution skybox. I have the rendering part right, the problem is in creation of the stars. Since there are so many, I'm looking for a shortcut to randomize placement of them. In C++ code, I can use OpenGL to do this easily, but how could I do this in 3dsmax. Afterwards, I intend to add models of planets that I have found, but I need to get the stars down. I would think there would be some kind of shortcut. I know I can use spheres to "model" the stars, which is fine by me. I don't need anything too special, but I need to "randomize" their positions. Thanks in advance. Does anyone know what a good way to do this is???

Advertisement
Create a particle array/cloud and use instanced geometry/objects as the particles. That's a place to start (though no guarentees it will lead you to the proper end).

That's the good idea for me. I should be able to do it that way. I should have thought of it. Thanks. Now to learn about particle systems in 3dsmax...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!