About Gothic terrain renderer...

Started by
4 comments, last by Guimo 18 years, 3 months ago
Well, i'm playing a Gothic 2 gold edition now :) So I notice some interesting things in their (Pyranha bytes) terrain engine. I wonder if someone have some more info on rendering details of terrain drawing? I doubt that they are using heightmaps (at least only them) because their terrains are full of "walls" inclined less then 90 degrees, and that is imposible to achieve only through heightmap. It seems to me that whole terrain is made of number of large pieces (mountain, small grassy valley, canyon... ) put together. Any toughts or information on that?
Advertisement
I took a look at some screenshots, you're right, there are 90 degree inclines separating different areas.

Perhaps they use a combination of 'area heightmaps' and 'area stitching' to produce verticals throughout the game. I'm just speculating here though, I'll check the game out soon.
Don’t think I have played that game, but if you are sure it’s not a height field then maybe they modelled it in some 3D modeller? Or if it’s made of pieces as you suspects then maybe the pieces are created in a modeller and the terrain assembled by some fancy algorithm or manually in some tool.

You don’t have any screens of the game?
Exitus Acta Probat
Quote:Original post by CalexusYou don’t have any screens of the game?

Think he meant something like this.

Hard to tell without actually walking through the game :-
Quote:Original post by Calexus
Don’t think I have played that game, but if you are sure it’s not a height field then maybe they modelled it in some 3D modeller?

Yes, I think this is very possible. They probably model some terrain chunks in 3d modeler and then put them together. Pretty hard way IMO but effective. Also, wher you play the game, you can tell where is the line separating two "chunks". And it is not straight...

The technique was applied in Neverwinter Nights I think. Terrain is made from large tiles. Think about a 3D tileset with water, grass, trees, a house, etc. Placing the tiles in the world will create the terrain. Each tile also holds locking information depending on the height of the sides of the tile. Also each tile holds information about blocking areas so path finding routines are able to search a way through them.

Luck!
Guimo

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement