• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
spiffy

Realistic Lighting

This topic is 4606 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I 've been trying to get realistic lighting to get on like a level...which is setup in a house backyard. adding just one directional light doesnt help at all.. What do you guys recommend?

Advertisement
I, as well as many others, could recommend a lot of things. It really depends what you want.

Realistic physically accurate lighting is not only very difficult, but also near enough impossible to do in real-time on current hardware.

Using the programmable pipeline (vertex and pixel shaders) is a definite must if you want realistic lighting. You can look at my summary of some models here.

Using the regular Direct3D fixed function pipeline (as you seem to indicate) really won't get you far by comparison to other screenshots you'll see around today.

It'd probably help us help you if you more specifically define what your goals are. What images/games/applications have you seen that simulate results close to what you want?

hth
Jack

Quote:
Original post by jollyjeffers
Using the regular Direct3D fixed function pipeline (as you seem to indicate) really won't get you far by comparison to other screenshots you'll see around today.

If you are looking for realism, I would even say that you won't get far period with the FFP. Sure, you can hack around with it until you get something okay, but that would be time far better spent coding your own shaders.

I would check out the Nvidia SDK. It has tons of shaders and implementations of many different lighting models. Also, if you want something more advanced, check out a spherical harmonics solution like PRT.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!