• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Where should I head next.

This topic is 4434 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been programming for a few months and now I'm starting to become mediocre at C++. I can not make any sort of graphics and only have been making text based games. I was going to go into DirectX next (seems better for me than OpenGL) What books or tutorials should I buy? What all should I try to learn before going on and trying something like tetris? thank you for the help.

Advertisement
I've found that the absolute best way to learn DirectX is through the book "Focus on 2D in Direct3D" by Ernest Pazera. It teaches you how to draw to the screen using the DirectX API without having to wrap your brain around all of the math involved with making a 3D game. After this book, you can make tetris, or mario, or any other type of 2D game, complete with alpha blending, fancy texture tricks, and even lighting effects.

After that, you can move on to 3D math without having to struggle with learning DirectX at the same time.

Does the book come with all of the software I am going to need or will I have to get some free stuff else where? (The ONLY thing I have at the moment is Bloodshed Dev C++ compiler is that all i need?)

I'd recommend downloading Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2005. It's free, and integrates with DirectX without getting any special libraries. Also, you'll need the DirectX SDK (also downloadable free) and the Windows Platform SDK (free).

(Edit: It's possible that the book comes with the DirectX SDK)

Altogether its probably 500 megs to a gig of download, but it'll get you started in coding DirectX much easier than trying to fight with DevCPP.

Books will probably come with the SDK, but I wouldn't expect a compiler.

With bloodshed, both DirectX and OpenGL are options, but OGL is probably a bit better supported by the community (Open Source -> Open Standards -> OpenGL).

Personally, I'd recommend some of the NeHe tutorials since a lot of them include source for Bloodshed, but I don't want to steer you one way or another.

As for DirectX, the above is right; grab the Visual Studio Express from MS, grab the DirectX SDK, and you should be ready to go.

No problem, and if you run into any roadblocks in the book (or if you've made something especially cool), feel free to email me (since I've pretty much memorized the book at this point, I still use it even for reference, even in 3D) and I'll try and answer the best I can.

jbourrie@gmail.com

Good luck!

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement