• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Arlanthir

Changing to Subfolders

This topic is 4524 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well, this ought to be easy, I'm just not getting it right.. :S I'm trying to change the current dir a subfolder from my actual folder. So, technically, I have this:
char *path = "/Folder/";        //Changing to C:/Folder/
chdir (path); 
and after finding a folder:
chdir (path + c_file.name);
I've tried it with strings and .c_str(), chars, char pointers, and I can never concatenate the two values, because I always get compiler errors.. What am I doing wrong? (For those who keep helping me on other threads, thank you very much, and yes, this is still on the mp3 project :P eheh I will eventually get it right, and this is a fine way to keep learning new things, some by experience, others from helping, but I'll give a credit to all the gamedev users when I get it done =))

Advertisement
char *path = "/Folder/"; //Changing to C:/Folder/

chdir (path);

Are you using C or C++? If you are using C++, why don't you use strings and convert them to char* when necessary

string path = "/Folder/";
chdir (path.c_str());

chdir (string(path + c_file.name).c_str()); // This might need adjusting, not sure.

Quote:
Original post by Arlanthir
Well, this ought to be easy, I'm just not getting it right.. :S

I'm trying to change the current dir a subfolder from my actual folder. So, technically, I have this:

char *path = "/Folder/"; //Changing to C:/Folder/
chdir (path);

and after finding a folder:

chdir (path + c_file.name);

I've tried it with strings and .c_str(), chars, char pointers, and I can never concatenate the two values, because I always get compiler errors.. What am I doing wrong?

(For those who keep helping me on other threads, thank you very much, and yes, this is still on the mp3 project :P eheh I will eventually get it right, and this is a fine way to keep learning new things, some by experience, others from helping, but I'll give a credit to all the gamedev users when I get it done =))

You can use the strcat function to concatenate strings. There are no operator+() voverloads to perform c-style strings concatenation.

string path = "/Folder/";
chdir (path);
string filename = "foo.bar";
chdir (path + filename);

should work too.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!