• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
tyler_the_tyler

Help with Visual Studios

This topic is 4605 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was creating a program in visual studios and i dont know how to run it. i clicked on a button and it came up with about 4 different errors. Is there something else i need to run the code?

Advertisement
Which version of Visual Studio, and which language?

Usually, the process of running a program consists of first compiling it (hitting the Compile or Build button, or choosing that from the appropriate menu), checking to see if it compiled successfully, and if so, running it (hitting the Run button or menu item). If there were errors while compiling, you won't be able to run the program until you fix those errors. These are labelled "compiler errors" (for obvious reasons) and prevent the creation of an executable file. (Other errors would be "linker errors" which occur with C/C++ programs and are very similar to compiler errors, and "runtime errors" which occur after an executable has been made and while it is running.)

Quote:
Original post by tyler_the_tyler
I was creating a program in visual studios and i dont know how to run it. i clicked on a button and it came up with about 4 different errors. Is there something else i need to run the code?

If you are getting errors with the code, then you must first fix those errors so the compiler can build the executable. Everything must pass the syntax compiling process, then it must pass the linking process. Only after that will the executable be made successfully and your program can run. So what errors are you getting? If they are long you can use the following style: [source] errors go here [/source] to get them in a neat little box for us to read. You could also post some revelant code the same way, just the lines that are causing problems to start out.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!