A substitue for combat?

Started by
34 comments, last by Wavinator 23 years, 1 month ago
Regarding the musical contest- I''ve always thought that would be good for a magic system. I''ve seen it implemented poorly, but it would be a great teaching tool plus a hell of a good time if it were implemented well. I would use a MIDI interface so that you could use a musical keyboard, + give players the option of using the Z-M row on the typing keyboard (plus the row above for sharps and flats- typical Tracker layout). Certain chords would have effects that could be used anywhere, maybe have "battles" like dueling banjoes? I think it could really rock. Anyway. . .

There''s mystery/whodunit as a gameplay mechanic. There''s trying to pick someone out of a crowd/track them down Fugitive-style. There''s the conversation element that''s been mentioned, but what if you were trying to tell if they were lying via vocal tone and facial expression? There''s something that was kinda/sorta mentioned earlier but passed over, that IMNSHO could be expanded way beyond what''s been done: Genetics/Animal Husbandry. There''s office politics, courtly intrigue, (basically the same as the latter, but with a bit more blood ) and courting rituals. There''s setting traps/manipulating the environment to one-up your opponent. How about the challenge of mere survival if you''re three inches tall and combat is therefore simply out of the question? That would incorporate many of these modes and more. How about the Twelve Trials of Hercules? Capturing the wildest horse on the planet could be a trip worth taking. Used sparingly, there''s nothing like thinly disguised button-mashing to break up the action. (eating contest, racing, etc.) One of my personal favorites would be a truly well-done black market game. (no Drug Wars, pleeeze) It would be kind of like Thief, only centered around avoiding detection from certain people, while trying to attract the attention of others. (hey, even pimps need marketing! )

Whew- Ok, off the top of my head, that''s all I''ve got. And I''m out of breath . Sorry if I repeated something that''s already been covered- I pretty much skimmed the topic (I''m at work and have to look semi- busy )

If you see the Buddha on the road, Kill Him. -apocryphal
If you see the Buddha on the road, Kill Him. -apocryphal
Advertisement
quote:Original post by JSwing

But when bishop_pass suggests replacing combat with a spitting contest, you say "Precisely! Wouldn''t that be fun?"

I''m sorry. bishop was being sarcastic as was I. The concept is that when you look at the game Thief stealth was more prominent than combat. That''s a splendid example of something that produces the same level of entertainment as combat does in most games.

It works because it has a degree of risk, it''s repeatable (you do it throughout the whole game and it remains fun)...these are attributes of what combat delivers in other games...

so, we''re looking for game mechanics that deliver the same amount of fun as combat

first we must know why combat is so fun...

so far we''ve decided comat is:
1) repeatable
2) has a degree of risk
3) gives that adreneline rush and makes you feel powerful
because you beat someone

I''m sure there are other things that make combat fun. So, we''re looking for other activities that are as fun as combat such as stealth, survival in the wilderness, etc.

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
What a plight we who try to make a story-based game have...writers of conventional media have words, we have but binary numbers
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
quote:Original post by Nazrix

I''m sorry. bishop was being sarcastic as was I.

Ahhhhh. (The 10 watt bulb flickers dimly)
I like the idea of the riddle game. That is a good one. Here''s one, if anyone wants to guess it:

In the lady''s chamber
The four archers sing
Each with four voices
Pleasantly they ring!

Can anyone describe the scene? Good luck!

~~Jonathon

Jonathon[quote]"Mathematics are one of the fundamentaries of educationalizing our youths." -George W. Bush"When a nation is filled with strife, then do patriots flourish." - Lao Tzu America: Love it or leave it ... in the mess it's in. [/quote]
Ok, sorry I spent half the thread so far trying to figure out what was going on, but I think I can now contribute. (

The best games occur when the player creates the experience as he plays the game. Player action == game experiences.

It doesn''t matter whether you''re slaughtering monsters in Diablo, laying down cities in Civ, or racing a car down the sidewalks. The thing that makes them solid is that the elements that make up the experience (gfx, sound, plot, emotional impact) are directly connected to the player''s actions (or choices).

To put it another way, all the experience pieces that are not tied to the player''s actions are at best irrelevant and at worst weaken the game.

DII - the player spends most of the time killing things. Where are the bulk of the gfx and sounds? In the different ways the player can kill things. The most boring part? Caine''s speeches. The cutscenes? Award winning and forgotten.

Thief/Deus Ex - the player''s action (sneaking) drives the experience (tension, etc). Face it, the story is B-grade and the AI is pretty dumb. The guards are content to wander around in a circle forever. Nor are they much to look at. But the experience of hiding, evading, or getting noticed all comes from the player''s actions.

Likewise, what was praised about the story of Deus Ex? That it responded to the player actions. The plot became part of the gameplay.

Car racing - I''m not a fan of the genre. Driving around in a circle seems pointless in RL, so what makes it fun? The primary experience (gfx, sound, etc) is driven directly by the player''s actions. You accelerate, and the engine roars. Experiences not directly related to the player''s actions are minimized.

It''s the same in older games, I think.
Nethack - ASCII graphics, no sound. But it is still fun, because the experiences that do exist (killing monsters, revealing the map, and the text messages) are almost exclusively driven by the player''s choices.

Civ games - A player chooses to build a city and so creates the experience. If the cities built themselves at a fixed rate then the experience of seeing the screen icon change would not be meaningful to the player. It would detract from the game I think, since it would be an experience that occurs as something other than player action.

What would a counter example be? Poorly done adventure games.
The player spends time solving a puzzle, but the game designer puts all of the experiences into the places in between the puzzles. The player is not spending time looking at doors open and close, he''s spending time working the lock puzzle or examining an object for clues.

The better adventure games devote most of the experience elements to the things that players spend time doing. There are always plenty of objects around the screen to click on and get a response. The contents of the scenes change when you visit because they know you''re going to wander back and forth many times. Interacting with the inventory objects provides a reponse other than ''Nope, that won''t work here.''

What makes the gameplay fun isn''t the amount of experience, it''s how the experience is distributed. If the experience is the player actions, then the player''s mind will provide any details you miss. If the experience is elsewhere then the player''s actions aren''t as interesting.

Just my $0.02
I agree with JSwing on that, although I think that when done properly, those non-interactive sections can also add a lot to a game.

I would like to point out that a majority of what we call "puzzles" are really just examples of poor game design. I have seen too many games in which one of these "puzzles" is substituted for the GET KEY TO PROGRESS FURTHER IN THE GAME code.

Take Deathtrap Dungeon, for example. This should have been a great game. The game concept was good, and the fantasy world from which it was drawn had some potential. Of course, there were many problems with this game, but what I''d like to point out is the horrible use of keys.

For those of you fortunate enough to have not played this game, here''s a quick summary: Get the red key, to open the red door, so you can get the gold key, so you can open the gold door, so you can get the silver key, so you can open the silver door, so you can pick up a fourth Venom Sword and progress to the next level, where you can do it all over again.

To avoid this kind of garbage, some game designers use the "puzzle" as a substitute for the key. The idea is that the player needs to spend enough time exploring some area of the game long enough to appreciate the game designer''s genius. Of course, repeated locked doors are beneath any good designer, so a "puzzle" is used instead.

The problem is that these are not REAL puzzles, they are only poor key substitutes. They require no real thought, they are only obstacles to keep the player busy. This is why games like Resident Evil were so full of running back and forth (going back and forth to fetch the valve wheel, fetch the pump handle, fetch the red gem, fetch the lighter, fetch the... you get the idea.)

On the other hand, consider a game like Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. I consider this one of the absolute finest examples of great key design. Why were the keys so good? They were efficient, useful, and they grew.

By efficient, I mean that each key could open several areas of the game. Rather than a separate key for each "door" of the game, each key would open up whole new sections of the game.

One of the keys, for instance, was the ability to transform into a bat. Yes, this is a key. It opens up paths in the game which were inaccessible without it.

And unlike an inventory slot which says "Key," the bat ability is something that a player can get excited about. Unlike the keys in Deathtrap Dungeon, which were utterly worthless, the bat ability remains useful throughout the game. And let''s face it, turning into a bat is just cool.

This much I was already doing in my Dungeons & Dragons games. But Konami didn''t stop there. What I learned from Castlevania: SotN, is that keys can grow as well. Not only can you metamorphose into a bat, but that bat gains abilities as well. The bat key also gains the talents of firebreath, sonar, and a sonic force. (These may sound cheesy, but if you have played the game, you know that they were great.)

Sadly, when Konami took Castlevania into the third dimension, all of these lessons seemed to be forgotten. Castlevania 3D games aren''t any better than average, and are really a good deal worse than many. But just because Konami, usually a VERY solid company, has lost sight of some very important lessons, doesn''t mean that we should.

Please, no more stupid "puzzle" key substitutes! There are times when a key is necessary. But try to vary them. If a player needs to come in contact with more than two real, literal keys, your game design may be weak. If there is more than one "password" that a player needs to enter into a doorlock, your game design is probably weak. If a player needs to backtrack to a previous location more than once in any game in order to retrieve some item, your game design may be weak.

Let''s all make better games by being as creative as possible when using keys. And let''s save the word puzzle for real puzzles, not sorry, poorly designed excuses for keys.

~~Jonathon

Jonathon[quote]"Mathematics are one of the fundamentaries of educationalizing our youths." -George W. Bush"When a nation is filled with strife, then do patriots flourish." - Lao Tzu America: Love it or leave it ... in the mess it's in. [/quote]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement