• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Programming Games in Python

This topic is 4518 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey everyone, I'm extremely new to programming and am in 9th grade. I'm currently learning Python (I heard it was easier to use and more powerful than C++) and I was wondering would I be better off writing my future games in Python, or just scrapping the Python and learning C++ later? I started a little bit of C++ and covered some of the basics but stopped at about function-level stuff. With Python I'm just a tiny bit ahead and I'm finishing up learning about functions. I prefer Python over C++, so that's why I'm asking. -Luke

Advertisement
Python is just fine for making games. If you want to get into the industry, learn C++ eventually, but don't worry about that for now.

How much of Python have you learned so far?

You might want to look into Pygame, which is a Python module for graphics, sound, input, etc.

Also, the term function-level means something very different from what you think it does (it refers to a style of programming which consists entirely of function composition and no variables).

Oh, hehe, I've just learned about functions. Not anything to do with function-level, whatever that is. And no, I haven't looked at Pygame.

Quote:
Original post by Luhan10
Oh, hehe, I've just learned about functions. Not anything to do with function-level, whatever that is. And no, I haven't looked at Pygame.

If you've just learned about functions in Python, you might want to wait a little while before looking at Pygame. Preferably once you've learned about classes and objects, since those are used in Pygame. Also, here are some Python links which you may find helpful.

Quote:
Original post by Roboguy
Also, the term function-level means something very different from what you think it does (it refers to a style of programming which consists entirely of function composition and no variables).

You're thinking of "functional programming". "function-level" isn't technical jargon of any sort, except perhaps to compiler writers (i.e. "analyzing the code at the function level").

Quote:
Original post by Zahlman
Quote:
Original post by Roboguy

You're thinking of "functional programming". "function-level" isn't technical jargon of any sort, except perhaps to compiler writers (i.e. "analyzing the code at the function level").

No.

Many of the concepts you'll encounter in Python (e.g. functions, variables, loops, conditionals, data types, etc) are common to many languages, and knowing them is generally much more important than knowing how they are written in any particular language. If you become proficient with Python you'll find it much easier to then switch to a language like C++ later down the line.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!