• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
King of Men

[java] Question about generics

This topic is 4603 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So I've got this class that can determine a price for several different goods. I often want to sort by this price; since sorting is time-consuming and frequent, I am concerned about performance. (I may be optimising prematurely. Please consider this also as a theoretical question, because I'm new to generics and want to learn how they work.) Here is my class :
abstract class Bidder implements Comparable<Bidder> {
  private static int sortByIndex;

public double getMaxPrice (int thisResource);
  public double getMaxAmount (int thisResource);

public int compareTo (Bidder dat) {
    // Not consistent with equals.

if (getMaxPrice(sortByIndex) > dat.getMaxPrice(sortByIndex)) return 1;
    else if (getMaxPrice(sortByIndex) < dat.getMaxPrice(sortByIndex)) return -1;
    else return 0;
  }

private static void sortBidders (Bidder[] theBidders, int index) {
    // Sorts the Bidders in order of their price for index.
    sortByIndex = index;
    Arrays.sort(theBidders);
  }
}

The question is, is this the same as, faster than, or slower than the old 1.4.2 method where I would write an explicit cast into the compareTo (Object) method? I don't quite understand how the underlying bytecode works; I know it's not the same as a C++ template, but apart from that I am clueless. Could someone enlighten me?

Advertisement
Sun has a nice PDF lying around which explains a lot about generics:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5/pdf/generics-tutorial.pdf

In general, generics do not add any runtime overhead. They do nothing which you could not do with a few casts yourself (and indeed the actual byte code only does those casts automatically). They can also be useful during compile time because it's much harder (but not impossible, especially when dealing with legacy code) to add the "wrong" instance to a collection.

Quote:
Original post by BitMaster
In general, generics do not add any runtime overhead.

And, alas, Java generics don't *remove* any runtime overhead either.

OK, so generics basically save me the trouble of doing my own casts, and turn a bug that would otherwise be a runtime ClassCastException into a compile-time bug. Fair enough, those are worthwhile things even if not as powerful as C templates. I wonder, though : Is it possible that Sun will, in a future version, make generics more template-like? Are there fundamental issues with how bytecode works that prevents this, or was it only a decision to get something out there and then improve it later?

The really nice thing about generics is, that they can interwork seamlessly with legacy code. Basically, they just introduce a few implicit casts into the byte code. This is good (does not break any code and allowed them to add generics to all n+1 things in the Java standard library which could use them in some way) and bad (not as powerful as C++ templates or at least like C# generics).

I'm a bit tied on the bad points though. C++ templates are one of those things which can be used for incredible good, but they can also cause major headaches, make code generation much more complex and vastly increase compile time. Also, some things, like for example compile time polymorphism, are not really necessairy in Java because a modern VM should be able to optimize it anyway.

My C# knowledge is rather limited, but I believe their generics compile into a different class for each instatiation, which would elimate a few casts but might limit your ability to work with legacy code.

All in all, I can often see the Java guys' dilemma. On the one hand, the very idea was to make a much cleaner language than C++ but on the other hand you end up missing some things. Like operator overloading. Sometimes you can really miss it in Java. Then you work with some C++ code where someone defined not exactly intuitive operators which meaning you had to rip out of the code first and several different overloads and none is well documented or easy to find in the code. Then you understand the decision not to include operators. Although you can make the same overloading mess with normal function names, you will usually get different method names for operator +(MyCollection, MyCollection) depending on whether we are talking about concating collections or componentwise addition.

Thinking about this, it occurred to me that it wouldn't be incredibly difficult to make a preprocessor that took your code and made new classes (in high-level Java) for your templates. Then you could feed that to the Java compiler to get the bytecode. Does anyone know if something of the sort has been done? I Googled for 'Java preprocessor' and got some hits, but they seem mainly to be about C-style macros; I got nothing on templates.

It's a bad idea. If you need some autogeneration, setup one in your IDE. If you'd like to see why is preprocessor bad idea, look at x264 source code (I really think that some results were unwanded by programmer.).

Quote:
Original post by BitMaster
All in all, I can often see the Java guys' dilemma. On the one hand, the very idea was to make a much cleaner language than C++ but on the other hand you end up missing some things. Like operator overloading. Sometimes you can really miss it in Java.

You could start programming in Eiffel. It is more or less like Java, but with some minor, yet smart differences, it has Operator Overload, AND Design by contract, AND Multiple Inheritance, AND compiles to the language of your choice, typically Java or C/C++... (but I like java for NOT having those things, and the compilie to C/C++ is possible SEE Antlr, and some GNU stuff).

Quote:
Original post by King of Men
Thinking about this, it occurred to me that it wouldn't be incredibly difficult to make a preprocessor that took your code and made new classes (in high-level Java) for your templates. Then you could feed that to the Java compiler to get the bytecode. Does anyone know if something of the sort has been done? I Googled for 'Java preprocessor' and got some hits, but they seem mainly to be about C-style macros; I got nothing on templates.

You could do that...see XDoclet, and XSLT, for code generation, and then you would want something to pretty up the code so look at Checkstyle, or JIndent. But in general preprocessing isn't the best choice. And some IDE macro would probably do just as good a job.

Quote:
Original post by Arild Fines
And, alas, Java generics don't *remove* any runtime overhead either.

Could you point me to where there is documentation as to whether or not this is true? From a language design POV generics should remove the runtime check for proper cast...AFAIK.

L-

Generics can't remove run-time overhead as they are implemented using a technique called type erasure. The bytecode generated has no knowledge of generics at all. The compiler inserts casts in the code having already trapped most of the potential ClassCastExceptions at compile time.

However you should know that a runtime cast is an incredibly fast operation and nothing you should be concerned about.

Cas :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!