• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Megaboz

OpenGL Slower with fewer polygons?

This topic is 4701 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello - I ran into a strange problem today, I was hoping someone may have an idea of what's going on. In a nutshell - 1. First I loaded two meshes of asteroids and moved them around the screen. I was getting around 60FPS. 2. Then in addition I loaded a spaceship mesh and moved it around the screen (so now I had 3 meshes, all on screen, all textured, all being translated and rotated around). I was getting around 60FPS. 3. Then I took away the asteroids and left JUST the ship, but didn't change anything else. Suddenly the program was running choppy, jumping from 60FPS down to 40FPS and back up repeatedly. I thought maybe there was some non-graphics related thing I broke by taking the two asteroids out, so I replaced the vertices for the spaceship with another random mesh I had lying around. The framerate jumped back up - so it's actually the mesh that's causing the slowdown - but only when its the only mesh on the screen. The moment I put any other mesh on screen with it the frame rate is fine. For the hell of it, I tried two spaceship meshes on screen at the same time, and the frame rate dropped horribly. For some reason, when this mesh is the only mesh on the screen, it does bad. But if you put it up with another mesh, even if that mesh has like 4x the number of polygons, the framerate is great again. I got the spaceship mesh off a free model website, can someone think of a hardware or opengl reason why this would be happening? Also, I'm using l3ds to load the mesh. I'll include a link to the mesh if that helps. Thanks a lot. Space Fighter mesh (3ds)

Advertisement
That did indeed seem to fix the problem (I didn't think it would be a vsync thing), but two questions -

1. If I keep wait for vsync off, isn't it going to tear? Is there another solution that would fix it while keeping wait for vsync on?

2. Why would a fewer number of polygons cause it to go slower when wait for vsync is on? Why wouldn't it be 60FPS like when more polygons are on the screen?

Thanks

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!