Convertion from std::string to char?!

Started by
11 comments, last by Afr0m@n 18 years, 3 months ago
Is it possible to convert from std::string to char somehow?! Because casting doesn't work, and I need it to be able to use the recv() function in WinSock. The recv() function takes a buffer parameter that's specified to be a char [or a char array], and there's no way of recieveing the correct amount of data on the server side unless I make about 50 different char arrays with different sizes or redimentionalize the char array buffer all the time, which I don't know how to do. Is there a way to do that? I would prefer to be able to convert from std::string to char somehow, though.
_______________________Afr0Games
Advertisement
[source lang = "cpp"]std::string mystring = "hello";const char* mychars = mystring.c_str();
Quote:Original post by Wixner
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

That won't work, he need a non-const array. He might be able to cast the constness away, but I expect that could introduce some problems. The best approach would be to recieve in an actual char array and then construct a std::basic_string from the char array. If there is a way to get the exact size needed you can construct a char buffer at the exact size.

About how to use the char array and resize it, to create a char string which you can give a new length, you do like this:
char* str = new char[strlen("Hello") + 1];strcpy(str,"Hello");

Then later you can do like this:
delete [] str; // yes, you need this or a memory leak will occur.str = new char[201]; // We now needs 200 chars

This will completely empty the str so you need to copy it to a temporary string before deleting it if you still need it.
Tack så mycket!
Tack så mycket!
ARGH the lag!

Do I really need a non constant array?! Hmm.. I'll investigate. Thanks!
Quote:Original post by Afr0m@n
ARGH the lag!

Do I really need a non constant array?! Hmm.. I'll investigate. Thanks!

I haven't used this function myself, but as far as I can see you can set a max number of bytes to recieve, so if you have:
char InBuffer[50];
You can just set max number of bytes to recieve to 50, then you add InBuffer to a std::string or std::stringstream before calling recv again. Something like this:
char in[100];std::stringstream SS;do{	int ReturnValue = recv(the_socket,in,100,SomeFlags);	if(ReturnValue == SOCKET_ERROR)		return false;	SS << in;}while( ReturnValue >= 100 ); // If there is no more to recieve less than 100 bytes have been recieved
std::vector<char> vec( str.begin(), str.end() );
Thanks for your input guys! So far, nothing's worked. I'm really intrigued by your proposition though, RDragon1. How would I use a vector like that? Here's my code so far:

#include "Global.h"bool AccountLogIn(int id, SOCKET s){	JPlayer p;	std::vector<char> vec( str.begin(), str.end());	p.id = id;		recv(s,(char*) vec, 100, MSG_PEEK);	std::cout << vec;	if(vec == "ACCOUNTEXISTS")	{		std::cout << "Recieved message!";	}	return true;}

This results in these errors:

--------------------Configuration: Server - Win32 Debug--------------------Compiling...AccountLogIn.cppC:\Programs\C++\WinSock\Server\AccountLogIn.cpp(6) : error C2039: 'vector' : is not a member of 'std'C:\Programs\C++\WinSock\Server\AccountLogIn.cpp(6) : error C2065: 'vector' : undeclared identifierC:\Programs\C++\WinSock\Server\AccountLogIn.cpp(6) : error C2062: type 'char' unexpectedC:\Programs\C++\WinSock\Server\AccountLogIn.cpp(10) : error C2065: 'vec' : undeclared identifierC:\Programs\C++\WinSock\Server\AccountLogIn.cpp(12) : error C2446: '==' : no conversion from 'char *' to 'int'        This conversion requires a reinterpret_cast, a C-style cast or function-style castC:\Programs\C++\WinSock\Server\AccountLogIn.cpp(12) : error C2040: '==' : 'int' differs in levels of indirection from 'char [14]'Error executing cl.exe.Server.exe - 6 error(s), 0 warning(s)

I've included <string> in another header file, so I don't get most of these errors.
use std::vector<char> like this:

std::vector<char> buffer;buffer.resize(/*whatever size you want the buffer to be*/);//Now to get a char* of the buffer:char* buffer_ptr = &buffer[0];//and to convert to a std::stringstd::string asString(buffer.begin(),buffer.end());

You code would then become:
#include <vector>#include <string>/* the rest of your code */bool AccountLogIn(int id, SOCKET s){  JPlayer p;  std::vector<char> vec(100);//buffer of size 100  p.id = id;	  int bytes_recieved = recv(s,(char*) vec, 100, MSG_PEEK);  std::string recieved_message(&vec[0], &vec[bytes_recieved]);  if(recieved_message == "ACCOUNTEXISTS")  {      std::cout << "Recieved message!";  }  return true;}

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement