2D graphics

Started by
2 comments, last by Luke Hutchinson 18 years, 3 months ago
i have a couple of questions that I am trying to find answers for to help me revise for an upcomming exam. what are the essential game design and gameplay differences between 2D and 3D graphic games? on which gaming platforms do we currently find the majority of 2D graphic games. as 3D game hardware technology becomed more widespread in all forms of gaming device, does the 2D game still have a future, give reasons for your answer.
Advertisement
There will always be the 2D "concept". It's what makes 2D games fun. For example you could make a 3D platformer but it still has the basic notion that you go up, down, left and right and although it may have 3D graphics, it still isn't dependant on the 3rd dimension.

2D games mostly have the ability to show a lot and becomes easier for the eye to identify whats happening on the surroundings. So you must consider that for 3D games where the eye can get mixed up with camera movement problems, but you can also use it as advantage (for example in FPS you can't see whats behind you or around the corner).

I think that the market with most potential in 2D games today is mobile gaming, they are getting more and more powerful and although they are starting to get 3D the small screen just helps getting the eye confused.

My attempt at answering your questions :). Hope this helps,

JVFF
ThanQ, JVFF (Janito Vaqueiro Ferreira Filho)
As a hobbyist animator (traditional), I feel 2D games do have a future for those of us not falling head over heels for rendered (Pixar, DKC) or polygonal (Tekken) looks. There has been nothing yet that has convinced me it is really dead and useless. The closure of Disney's (and, really, those of any other American outfit in the industry) studios was extremely short sighted and addressed only a symptom of a larger problem that'll continue to plague their future efforts in 3D. Programattically, 2D is simpler to grasp and a less intimidating 1st project. Whether it has a financially viable future depends on the public's ability to appreciate it for what it is and not be distracted by the next shiny object or blockbuster explosion. So, yeah, a little biased here, but isn't anyone else sick of 2D being demonized all the time?
As Jvff said, games with 2D gameplay rendered in 3D are common. Top down space shooters, SHMUPS (shoot em' ups), have a big, hardcore following, especially in Japan.

As for 2D rendering of games, it allows cool artwork styles that simply cannot be done in 3D. Have a look at Alien Hominid.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement