Scripting Language Design (Not Implementation)

Started by
70 comments, last by Extrarius 18 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Also, most of the things you listed don't sound much like language features, they seem more like implementation details.
It's all part of my experience using your language. I don't see why there should be a distinction drawn here between development environment and language.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by flangazor
Quote:Also, most of the things you listed don't sound much like language features, they seem more like implementation details.
It's all part of my experience using your language. I don't see why there should be a distinction drawn here between development environment and language.
For the same reason there is a distinction between the graphics API developed (as a wrapper for DX/OGL/etc) and the graphics that are drawn - they both have impact on how things look (the API via what features it supports, the grahics by what features are used), but by focusing on each individually, both parts can be made better than if they were always treated as a single unit.

I already have a good idea how the environment should be from using many such environments myself - it's much more obvious which features are good and bad from dev environments. There isn't as much diversity among the ones that are nice to use as there is among language features, but somehow only a few language features have been put into common languages while IDEs range from notepad to MSVS to a CL REPL in EMacs.

Oh, and I find those slides interesting on multiple levels. I don't think I would ever make those kinds of syntax choices (far too many symbols used - keywords/macros/functions/forms/etc are not evil), but high-level features are something I plan on supporting.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement