• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OpenGL or DD/D3D?

This topic is 6243 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know C++ and windows programming. What I must choose:OpenGL or DD/D3D?? And why.

Advertisement
It really depends on what you are doing. If you are mainly going to be doing 2D stuff then DirectDraw is the way to go. OpenGL's 2D implementation is a little slow.

If you are going to be doing 3D then either is a good choice. I found OpenGL to be easier to learn but with DirectX 8 many people are saying that DX is now just as easy.

If you want cross-platform compatible code then OpenGL is the only choice as DirectX is Windows only.

Jason A.

---
I write code.
DelphiGL (http://delphigl.cfxweb.net)

Edited by - Jallen on January 11, 2001 1:02:58 AM

Do you really want to give people another reason to stay on windows ?
If yes, then use DirectX, else use OpenGL.

I use BeOS, friends use Linux, some (very few) windows, so I program with OpenGL to make everyone happy and not to support MS only.

(I dream of a world in which everyone will be using BeOS free.be.com)

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-

Ok, now I know your just curios, but this thread could turn into a nastly (not to mention bloody) battle. These things tend to get out of hand...

My honest opinion would be to learn OpenGL first then move on to Direct X. I personaly like DirectX better, but OpenGl is much easier to use.

P.S. To all you readers out there...please do NOT START ANOTHER DX AND OPENGL WAR!!!!!!!!!!!! PRETTY PRETTY PLEASE...I''ll explode if I see another

-----------------------------------------------------------
"If I wanted to hear the pitter patter of little feet I would put shoes on my cat"

"Yeah sure women can fake orgasms, but men can fake whole relationships"

Guest Anonymous Poster
I like to follow the D3D vs OGL wars. You can use both of them but a big difference is that DX is only for windows and are 100% controlled by Microsoft.

As long as it does what you want, do you care who controls it? Do you know who is on the OpenGL board?

Cross platform is the biggest arguement, and the simplest. If you need it on multiple platforms, then OpenGL is the way to go.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Standards vs company specific is at least in some cases important. OpenGL, C/C++ is more open and standard than Direct3D and C#. It was also a strong argument against Glide.

In my opinion should the card manufacturers prefer OpenGL over Direct3D and work hard for it but so far do I not know if they all do.

I really hate this questions ;-)

Even on boards like this with 99% mature people this can turn into a flame war.

There are tons of articles out there that are about the GL vs DX thing. So if you really want to see the bigger pictures, read them.

I don''t think there''s that much difference between them. You can''t make a "bad" choice. Look at commercial games.

We have killer engines like Quake3, Doom3, Serious Sam and X-Isle that are written in OpenGL. But there are also good engines in D3D. Unreal 2 and Halo f.e.

Tim

--------------------------
glvelocity.gamedev.net
www.gamedev.net/hosted/glvelocity

Most video card manufactorers have both opengl and directx drivers, and usually they''re pretty good. (ATI, take a hint) And for amatuer game developement, pick one that corresponds to the style you are most comfortable with. Opengl is function/state machine based where as directx uses com and classes. Unless you are going to be producing a large, commercial game project, I think it does not matter which you choose.

• Advertisement