OpenGL or DD/D3D?

Started by
13 comments, last by Unreal 23 years, 3 months ago
quote:
3) The DX8 tutorials all assume a sort of "retained mode" thinking. Basically, the DX8 tutorials use wrapper classes and x files like there is no tommorrow. So what ends up happening is that the wrapper classes magically load an .x file. One never even sees the vertices, making it difficult to perform vertex level operations.

Yeah, I suppose the addition of vertex and pixel shaders really hide the inner-workings of Direct3D from the programmer. I also can''t figure out why a tutorial would choose to use an easy format like .x files to show the reader real results instead of the drawing an amazing spinning triangle.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by wazoo69

Suggestion for Furby:

Seeing as how the same question seems to find its way to this board about 10 million times a day (which API is better? OpenGL or D3d?? Which should I bother learning?? etc)..

Dude, you should have the FAQ link in 18 pt. fontsize, as well as a banner that pops up when someone is going to post a new topic saying "Have you read the FAQ?"

**sigh**, I would do, but moderators don''t have that sort of powers. Moderators can:
edit posts in their forum
edit the FAQ to their forum
close/reopen topics in their forum
change the description of the forum
see all users'' IP addresses, and check to see if another registered user is using the same IP address.

And that is the full extent of our powers as I know it.

Just because you''re outnumbered doesn''t mean you''re wrong.

sharewaregames.20m.com

quote:Original post by DmGoober
4) Academic code is written in OpenGl. Almost all of the code I''ve seen for cloth simulations, collision detection, deformations, etc. are written in OpenGl.

That is mainly because of OpenGL''s use in computer graphics other than games. However, if you went to a shop and took a survey, and looked at the APIs the games used, you would find that the majority uses DirectX (especially amongst budget games).

Just because you''re outnumbered doesn''t mean you''re wrong.

sharewaregames.20m.com

For the people that say there isn't enough tutorials on DX8, there are 4 good ones that come with the SDK, the first is for triangles, the next for spinning triangles (matrice operations), another for lights, and the last for textured x-files. Maybe I'll write some tutorials for my site, since so many people want it.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams."
- Willy Wonka

Edited by - BitBlt on January 12, 2001 4:32:11 PM
quote:
I know C++ and windows programming.
What I must choose:OpenGL or DD/D3D??
And why.

Isn't there a FAQ for this???

Alternatively, you need choose neither. I cut my 3D teeth back in 320x240 X-Modes under DOS*, writing (albeit a bit crappy) software renderers. It teaches you the _theory_, and once you have the theory, learning another rendering API becomes simple.

My answer - "suck it 'n' see"

Jans.

[and I was talking about trying a software rendering engine, not about writing under DOS ]

Edited by - Jansic on January 12, 2001 4:39:34 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement