• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1 OGL Light = FPS Hell ???? HELP!

This topic is 6248 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

First of all, thanks to everyone who replied to my __FPS Survey__ post that I put up a week or so ago. Now, I have only been getting 420K polygons per second using materials and textures with a single light. As soon as I turn that puppy off I''m well into 1 to 1.2 milion polys per second. Does using the OpenGL lighting system (only one light!)really incur that much extra overhead or am I just completely off my rocker? Thanks, ~S''Greth

Advertisement
The problem is you''re using a dynamic light. Light calculation is very slow, especially when performed in software mode, which it always is unless you have a GeForce T&L card. Games use precalculated lightning (performed by such compile-time utilities as QRad), which is applied in the form of lightmaps at runtime. Lightmaps are drawn as additive textures. There are many tutorials on them.

~CGameProgrammer( );

one directional light should incur practically no speed loss (even on non hardware tnl cards). perhaps ure using a spotlight/positional light though even still that shouldnt make much difference. were u changing materials or calculating the normals each frame?

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux

• Advertisement