Any ham-like tools available for DS programming?

Started by
4 comments, last by DrewGreen 18 years, 3 months ago
I'm working on a homebrew GBA game in Visual HAM, and I thought it might be fun to dabble in some DS code while I'm at it. A $10 passme turns my GBA testing hardware into DS testing hardware easily enough, but I dont know how to go about getting my code started.
Advertisement
Hi, go to the devkitPro site and download the installer. It will actually give you a compiler for the gba, nds, psp, and gamecube. The compiler for gba and nds is the same(devkitArm). This is updated frequently where the gcc compiler for HAM is not and the code will be smaller and fast than with ham(on both nds and gba). I use VisualHam also and thats fine, but atleast use the devkitArm compiler with it. I actually have a topic on this over at ngine.de it is one of the first ones in the HAM development section. Go check it out and it will tell you how to set up devkitPro with VHam. By the way devkitARM comes with devkitPro. Also, make sure you frequent the forums over at dsdev.org. You will get loads of help there. Oh and you will get some really nice libraries to use for the ds with devkitPro. Plus, Peter is talking about porting HEL 2 for the DS eventually :). Well there you go. I hope this helps.

-Jake
Is HAM open-source?
I ask this only because, from what I've seen (not much), GBA and DS coding are remarkably similar. It doesn't look like it would be too hard to port HAM over, if at all possible.

Cheers,
--Brian
No, I don't believe HAM is open source. The was a topic about this on the HAM forums. Peter said that since HAM's compiler is not updated anylonger(devkitPro's is) and since devkitPro compiles smaller and faster code(and also has some very good NDS libraries) that it is not to be expected that Emanuel will port HAM for the DS. Also, I believe you are right about GBA and DS coding being similar.

-Jake
No, I don't believe HAM is open source. The was a topic about this on the HAM forums. Peter said that since HAM's compiler is not updated anylonger(devkitPro's is) and since devkitPro compiles smaller and faster code(and also has some very good NDS libraries) that it is not to be expected that Emanuel will port HAM for the DS. Also, I believe you are right about GBA and DS coding being similar.

-Jake

P.S. I am not sure why the board posted this twice and once as an AP.
This site is where it's at. http://www.double.co.nz/nintendo_ds/
"I must not fear. Fear is the mindkiller. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn to see fear's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." ~Frank Herbert, DuneMy slice of the web

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement