Sign in to follow this  

[web] Pushing software

This topic is 4358 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know any free or open-source push technology software? Ones that doesn't require the client to do any polling. Here are one that I've come across but it isn't free: www.lightstreamer.com

The question really is "What are you trying to "push"?".

There are more than a hundred AJAX tutorials on the net if you're trying to "push" text, image or xml data, but as far as binary data, you're probably going to look at a heavier solution, possibly java or flash or something. (and you can practically forget about executable binaries).

Also, "push" is a really bad word to use when talking about data; data has no physicality so you can not "push" or "pull" it, but you can "stream", "send" or "recieve" it. /petpeeve.

as an aside, I don't think "push" or "pull" requires physicality. I think in terms of client/server discussions these terms are valid to describe which side has the initiative for a data flow in a given direction. i.e., if its understood that you're talking about data flowing from the server to the client and you then talk about push (server initiates) or pull (client initiates) I think its understood what is meant. send/receive don't convey enough information. sure, the server is always sending information to the client in the above scenario (data flowing from the server to the client), but there's a big difference in whether the client pulled the data or the server pushed it. In either case the data was sent. But there's a significant difference in which side initiated the transfer.

You can absolutely do this, using the techniques which have been mentioned before on this forum.

There are several techniques, but they all rely on some permanently-open HTTP connection. This is an abuse of the protocol and creates some problems in certain circumstances, but still works fairly efficiently normally.

You don't need to buy anything from any company to do this, these are (relatively) simple techniques you can apply to an existing or new AJAX application.

Mark

This topic is 4358 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.