• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Help with Floating-point Textures used as a Vertex Texture

This topic is 4431 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone, I'm trying to render world position data to a floating-point texture, and read the data from a vertex shader in another render pass to construct geometry procedurally. I am having trouble with the texture because it seems to clamp all my values to 0.0f and 1.0f. This is how I declare my fp32 texture:
pd3dDevice->CreateTexture(baseWidth, baseWidth, 1, D3DUSAGE_RENDERTARGET, D3DFMT_A32B32G32R32F, D3DPOOL_DEFAULT, &positionTexture, NULL);
positionTexture->GetSurfaceLevel(0, &positionSurface);
In my vertex buffer, I pack in the positions that I want to be computed into the normal field of each vertex, and then render it out using the following Effect:
//------------------------------------
struct vertexInput {
    float3 Position	: POSITION;
    float3 Normal	: NORMAL;
};

struct vertexOutput {
    float4 HPosition    : POSITION;
    float4 Diffuse      : COLOR0;
};

//------------------------------------
vertexOutput VS_TransformDiffuse(vertexInput IN) 
{
    vertexOutput OUT;
    OUT.HPosition = float4( IN.Position, 1.0f );
    OUT.Diffuse = float4( IN.Normal.xyz, 1.0f );
    return OUT;
}

//-----------------------------------
float4 PS_Textured( vertexOutput IN): COLOR
{
    return IN.Diffuse;
}

//-----------------------------------
technique strippedFFP
{
    pass p0 
    {		
		VertexShader = compile vs_1_1 VS_TransformDiffuse();
		PixelShader  = compile ps_1_1 PS_Textured();
    }
}
After the texture is rendered, I'll set it to D3DVERTEXTEXTURESAMPLER0 with the following sampler states:
pd3dDevice->SetSamplerState(D3DVERTEXTEXTURESAMPLER0, D3DSAMP_ADDRESSU, D3DTADDRESS_CLAMP);				
pd3dDevice->SetSamplerState(D3DVERTEXTEXTURESAMPLER0, D3DSAMP_ADDRESSV, D3DTADDRESS_CLAMP);
pd3dDevice->SetSamplerState(D3DVERTEXTEXTURESAMPLER0, D3DSAMP_MINFILTER, D3DTEXF_POINT);
pd3dDevice->SetSamplerState(D3DVERTEXTEXTURESAMPLER0, D3DSAMP_MAGFILTER, D3DTEXF_POINT);
pd3dDevice->SetSamplerState(D3DVERTEXTEXTURESAMPLER0, D3DSAMP_MIPFILTER, D3DTEXF_NONE);
The result is that my position values (in each channel) is clamped to 0.0f to 1.0f. Am I doing anything wrong? Thanks in advance. Edit: To make things clearer, I'm using Nvdia 6600GT with Direct X 9.0c. [Edited by - Nisaus on January 9, 2006 1:37:23 AM]

Advertisement
You're compiling using the vs_1_1 and ps_1_1 profiles which will cause your colour values to be clamped (IIRC). Use vs_2_0 and ps_2_0 instead. If you're going to be using a vertex texture you'll need to use the vs_3_0 profile.

I set it to vs_3_0 and ps_2_0 and it didn't work, but when I set to vs_3_0 and ps_3_0 everything worked beautifully!

Thanks very much Monder, you've been a great help! [smile]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement