Sign in to follow this  

How common is MIDP 2.0 today (J2ME)

This topic is 4359 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

MIDP 2.0 has been around for atleast 1½ year or so by now, but how big is the installed user base today? 50% of all cellphones? 10% I know MIDP 2.0 if still far from the norm, but just how far is it?

I'm not sure percentage wise, but in America new cell phones are still being released with MIDP 1.0 (don't ask me why). I can't mention the phones that are under development due to my NDA, but some released examples are: Sanyo 4930 (released August 2005 or so), Samsung A820 (released Oct/Nov 2005). As it appears unfortunately, the cell phone companies are still not releasing all MIDP 2.0 phones. Hopefully in the near future MIDP 1.0 will be left behind.

~guyaton

My best guess is that these companies have either too much time or Money invested in MIDP 1 so that all these phones are perfected (in other words they dont' have to rewrite anything to get it up to the MIDP 1 specs) or that they have too many of the chipsets and processors of the old phones left over that they don't know what to do with them (I've noticed that the Firmware versions are almost exactly the same in these "new" MIDP 1 phones).

~guyaton

for those working on j2me professionally, go to your porting SKU list for each game/app, count total MIDP 2 devices and divide by total amount. While still inaccurate for not counting in handset popularity, probably no NDA violation.

This topic is 4359 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.