new ati driver causes problems with shaders!?

Started by
3 comments, last by Trienco 18 years, 3 months ago
Hello, I am running into a strange issue: I installed the newest catalyst from ATI (version 05.13) and now I have a lot of problems with a shader I developed. For no reason some geometry ist simply not drawn anymore and i have no idea why. The shader works on all geometry in the scene, but some objects are drawn and some are not. Well if I just don't install the shader into the pipline, all geometry appears, so it's not a problem with the geometry rendering. I am using an ATI X700 (which is already a pain in the a**, because it only supports shader model 2.0 :-/ ) I was just happy that I made everything run and now this. Anyone know or experienced something like this? On another machine with a GeForce6600 GT everything works perfect.
Advertisement
All I remember is somebody posting screenshots of X3 with the latest drivers which were also missing a good bit of geometry. Bug? "Optimization"? Firing every single tester and replacing them with customers and developers?
f@dzhttp://festini.device-zero.de
I also found some "signs" that there a some issues with ati drivers. But unfortunately nothing specific. After a lot of trial and error I now installed the old 5.7 Catalyst (which came with the card) and it works :-/ Well it cannot stay like this, so if anyone has some ideas or references, whats the problem with the new drivers, you would help me a lot!

thx
Complain, if ATI knows whats good for them they'll respond to customer dissatisfaction and get their butts in gear and release another driver early. (ie: email them)

cheers
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
Quote:Original post by Ademan555
Complain, if ATI knows whats good for them they'll respond to customer dissatisfaction and get their butts in gear and release another driver early. (ie: email them)

cheers
-Dan

At least they should, but I remember how long it took them to fix their point sprite issue. In fact, after about a year I stopped checking, so I have no idea if they actually DID fix this issue by now. All I remember is how they claimed to not be aware of the problem when just from this forum at least 5 people send a bug report about a problem so obvious that even the most superficial testing should have revealed it.

Their priorities in bug fixing seem to be based on a simple "what's the biggest title having issues"-approach. "Oh no, Carmack said the shadows in D4 will be fu** up in rare special cases! Quick, scramble, fix it.", "Some indy developer said his card crashes when he is doing something perfectly normal.. ignore it, until Epic or id is having issues with it, too".

Even the release notes are completely geared towards users and absolutely useless for developers. What the heck does anyone of us care if Sonics left nostril is now correctly reflected by his right shoe, when we don't even know what API the game is using? What would have been so difficult in at least mentioning WHAT they fixed to make it work? Something like "CLAMP_TO_EDGE now behaving correctly" instead of "textures in game X now working properly". Or are there well hidden release notes for developers on their site that I'm simply not aware of?
f@dzhttp://festini.device-zero.de

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement