How to record with DirectMusic Producer?

Started by
1 comment, last by lack o comments 18 years, 3 months ago
I am using a MIDI controller with DirectMusic Producer. My problem is that I cannot figure out how to record what I am playing, it seems incredible complicated. Does anyone know?
Advertisement
It is complicated, I'd give up now if I were you...

...seriously.

Here are some pointers - I've not used it for a few years, mind.

Create a segment.

Create a band in the band track (the default is just a piano I think).

Add a pattern track.

Here's one place you can fall down - you must disable 31 of the 32 pattern variations or there is only a 1 in 32 chance that what you record will play. To do this, unselect variation 1 so that its button is "up" and select all other 31 buttons so that they are "depressed". Then right click on any variation and select Disable. Now depress variation one and you're good to go.

You should be able to record fine now (press record then play) assuming you are hearing the piano sound when you play your midi controller.

If that hasn't helped much then try to be a bit more specific.

Cheers,

K
Although you may not like it, my suggestion is simply... don't. The only thing I ever liked about Producer was its support for DLS.

You could try working in another program and then use Producer to to create DirectMusic compatible segments that utilize DLS. Of course, then you won't be able to actually write using the sounds.

As much good as Microsoft meant with that thing, I still consider it a misbegotten monster of software.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement