I bet this question is asked every other day...

Started by
9 comments, last by Zahlman 18 years, 3 months ago
Hey, im going back into C++ after a while being out of the game for lack of having a computer. I have basic knowledge (structure, functions and the like) but its a bit faded from the long time of not studying. I am buying a book or two to get me back into programming, but im not sure what books to get, most seem to be pointed either to game programming or direct X... can someone please suggest a short list for me? thanks, and I appologise for repeating a long-asked question... lol.
Advertisement
well ive read one book and one book only.. it was Beginning c++ Game Programming by Michael Dawson. it is a really good book and i would suggest anyone to buy it.
thats the thing though, im not looking for game programming, im looking for overall programming :-P
Hi, take a look at this list then: http://rudbek.com/books.html
well regardless, it shows you everything you need to know for not just game programming.. its just based around game programming but its all the same..

takes you through

cout
cin
strings
string minipulatoin
STL
refrences
functions
pointers
classes
enumerators
heap and stack programmings
advanced classes such as:
polymorphism
ect...

by the time you go through this book youll be able to literally code just about anything in an ms dos
Quote:Original post by willthiswork89
well ive read one book and one book only.. it was Beginning c++ Game Programming by Michael Dawson. it is a really good book and i would suggest anyone to buy it.

I agree. This book is great for starters.
Assuming you haven't (for some reason) looked here yet:

C++ Programming Books

Also, it may be helpful to rename your thread to something more Google-friendly, like "Recommended Beginner C++ Programming and Reference Books", in respect to those searching the forums.
:stylin: "Make games, not war.""...if you're doing this to learn then just study a modern C++ compiler's implementation." -snk_kid
The best general programming book you will ever buy.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

who needs a book when you got http://cplus.about.com
"c++ primer plus" is awsome. i've seen an electronic version floating around, which is nice for quick references.

and i'll second and third the pragmatic programmer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement