Sign in to follow this  

visual c++ 6 doesn't want to link math

This topic is 4351 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i have a code:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <math.h>

int main()
{
	printf("%f\n",sinf(3.14/6));
	return 0;
}

source file has *.c extension. and when i try to compile this stuff i get linker error: Linking... src.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _sinf Debug/OA.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals Error executing link.exe. when i compile the same file but with *.cpp extension the problem doesn't occure. what *.lib file or sth should i add to my C project to use math.h?

Because the problem occurs only with a .c extension, my guess is it has to do with the different calling conventions of C and C++. C++ does "name mangling" to function names to support function overloading. The code you need was probably compiled with the C++ calling convention and you are trying to link it with C's. Sorry but I have no idea how you would fix this if this is the case.

Something in your compiler/development environment thinks its a CPP project. And so its using CPP rules for name mangling, so it can't find the symbol. Or something like that - this stuff is pretty esoteric.

You need to tell the compiler to compile using C rules instead of C++ rules and apparently the file extension isn't enough in whatever your tools are.

Quote:
Original post by Maxest

source file has *.c extension. and when i try to compile this stuff i get linker error:
Linking...
src.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _sinf
Debug/OA.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals
Error executing link.exe.

when i compile the same file but with *.cpp extension the problem doesn't occure.

sinf() is a C99 extension. I suspect your C compiler does not support the C99 standard but your Cplusplus compiler has (nonstandard) C99 extension support built in.

I can't tell you what the solution is, but it should be okay to compile everything with your Cplusplus compiler instead.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Maxest
my compiler doesn't support C99 standard..? that's a real LOL 'cause i use MS Visual Studio 6! does microsoft have different rules on every way? :)

unfortunately, yes

you could upgrade to visual c++ 2005 express its free and preety good IMO

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/

or maybe you could get the msvc++ 2003 toolkit it has the standard compiler asswell

http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/

gcc'll probably work too

Quote:
Original post by Maxest
my compiler doesn't support C99 standard..? that's a real LOL 'cause i use MS Visual Studio 6! does microsoft have different rules on every way? :)

VS6 was released in 98. And yes VS6 it very non-standard (at least for C++, assume C also), the never versions (2002, 2003, 2005) are much better (the best available in my opinion) though.

thank for your help. i think i will be using code::blocks. i see it very comfortable IDE which use compiler consistent with C99 :)
besides, i want to code a game for free so at least it excludes all ms visual studios

Guest Anonymous Poster
Yeah, go Code::Blocks.

On to the topic, GCC implements the standard C99. Unfortunately, trying out tests with MSVS2k5E shows that it doesnt implement C99.

Just what I see, don't quote me :).

C++

everything would be fine with code::blocks if it wasn't for a fact, that SDL doesn't want to go.. :(
if anyone knows how to solve that problem, plase, look at it: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=369526

This topic is 4351 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.