Sign in to follow this  

Phone gaming

This topic is 4354 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am in the process of relearning Java right now and I would like to get into mobile development. I also have to buy a new cell phone next week as mine is at the end of it's life. I was wondering if someone could tell me how to determine if a cell phone is j2me compatible? At this point I really don't know much at all about any of this so any links or help would be great. I am currently using cingular and when I look at the phones on the sites not all say they are java compatible although I think a lot of them are. Is it a norm for a phone to be compatible? The one I have right now, one of the lower grade phones I got when I signed up about a year or so ago, is apparently java compatible. I just want to be sure as I would like to get the most out of it.

Hi,
I can't really tell you anything about what is available on your network as I'm not American [grin] but Forum Nokia is a great site for Nokia phones (which I personally like to develop for), you can search for MIDP 1.0 (older version of J2ME) or MIDP 2.0 (newer and better version of J2ME) phones. Also make sure you look at how you can transfer your game onto your phone. I find a usb cable or bluetooth connection is the easiest, but some phones don't have either of these.

Good luck,
Miranda

Thanks for the link, it is already coming in handy! I read that the nokia series 40 phones are a huge part of the market, because they are cheap and practically given away to new subscribers. At least it was the phone I got when I subscribed.

Series 40 definately dominates the market in J2ME enabled phones here in Australia, as does Series 60 for Symbian phones. Also check out the forums on that site, another great resource.

I'm pretty sure there are similar sites out there for other manufacturers, I'm just not sure of them as I have only developed for Nokias, just do a google search for MIDP devices or something...

I work on Java phones exclusively in America, and the breakdown is pretty simple; Verizon is primarily BREW and most everything else is Java based. Sprint, Cingular, Virgin Mobile, and Nextel (now Sprint or Sprixtel as I like to call them) to name a few.

Be forwared, that if you purchase a Nokia phone, you will have to use their Nokia Java platform (which if you ask me defeats the purpose of JAVA; you know...the whole conforming to one standard so that it will run on any platform). Even to do simple things such as displaying graphics, requires different calls (all using the Nokie DirectGraphics device instead of the standard Graphics device calls from JAVA). Also if you get a Sprint phone, you should be using Sprint's API specific toolset as well. While this is not as extensive as Nokia's libraries, you still need it for sound and other things.

Just something else to be aware of.

~guyaton

Quote:
Original post by guyaton
Be forwared, that if you purchase a Nokia phone, you will have tocan use their Nokia Java platform

I had to fix that for you ;). He doesn't have to use the Nokia classes if he doesn't want to.

shmoove

I have developed a few simple Java games for Nokia phones and I haven't used the Nokia specific classes... So it definately isn't a necessity, but from my understanding they just add some features that weren't included in the standard J2ME release (this may be more true for MIDP 1.0, but I'm not exactly sure).

From what I've been reading on the nokia forums and everywhere else in general, the series 40 seem to be the most common at the moment because of their price and install base. Series 60 is pretty common as well. This makes me happy as I really don't want to pay the money for a higher end phone. I can get a decent series 40 for about $30 right now.

This topic is 4354 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.