About 'Having an idea'.

Started by
52 comments, last by Cybergrape 18 years, 3 months ago
You have to remember something: there isn't a shortage of ideas in the game industry. Game stories, characters, scenarios ideas are so many companies wouldn't even consider an idea unless it has some background (a demo or some proof) and some guarantee it would work. Even if you come up with an original gameplay idea that will "rock the world" (it does happen) the company will be skeptical if the idea has no background, even if the idea itself generates confidence in the company it is still a risky shot to just try something new.

That's why we have tons of FPSs, RPGs, MMORPGs, etc. And the publishing companies will only look into game projects from companies that has a minimal background. If a company has recently started and has no background but has this idea of a space-shooter MMORPG with FPS elements and RPG gameplay (or another original idea better than my original idea example :) ) it would probably won't be chosen by a company that has made 3 succesful FPS.

This is how I see the industry. Please correct me if there are any mistakes. Thanks,

JVFF
ThanQ, JVFF (Janito Vaqueiro Ferreira Filho)
Advertisement
I am a designer, an idea-person. But in order to package ideas in a format other people can use, it is essential to have excellent writitng skils, and the ability to sketch is also tremendously helpful. Not to mention secretarial and management skills, as the designer often ends up being the one in charge of making and maintaining the design doc, doing initial concept art, assigning and explaining tasks to other team members and giving them feedback on their efforts, keeping track of who's currently doing what and what still needs to get done, etc.

There are basically two game development jobs you can aim for - lead designer/manager/producer of your own project, or writing/art lead for someone else's project. And like frob said, either way you will be better off placing a properly-formatted post in the helpwanted forum than trying to talk to a game design company which will ignore you.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Hey guys, I totally get what you're saying. In fact, you're all almost bang on. You are, however missing one huge aspect.

The Wheel of Time, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, The Matrix. These are all examples of stories which were taken and made video games out of. The one thing to notice though is that none of these stories were immediately pitched to a game company. You -can- get a story made into a videogame and it happens quite a bit with successful franchises, however you have to have a blockbuster hit published as a bestselling book or produced as a movie first.

If your story idea is so potent that you feel you could make a compelling novel or multi-million dollar movie out of it, that's one roundabout way to get a game made from your idea. If it's a great story, you should write a great story, not look for a game company to make a game based off that story. To be brutally honest, I doubt that you have a story idea of quality enough for publishing at this moment. I also doubt you would follow through.

I'm just offering this as an example of how a great story idea can (in a roundabout way) end up as a videogame. It isn't nearly as easy as "hey videogame company, take me with my no credentials and shaky design docs and make a game."

So, if you're interested in making storylines I suggest you get into writing. There is a designer position at EA which you can apply for if you are sure you want to do that sort of thing, but generally you need some post secondary and a nice portfolio.

As was already mentioned, you can pad a portfolio by participating in the "Help Wanted" section of the forum and get some indy projects under your belt.
_______________________"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk
Quote:Original post by M2tM
.......You -can- get a story made into a videogame and it happens quite a bit with successful franchises, however you have to have a blockbuster hit published as a bestselling book or produced as a movie first.

If your story idea is so potent that you feel you could make a compelling novel or multi-million dollar movie out of it, that's one roundabout way to get a game made from your idea.
Hardly a realistic option. You don't solve a difficult problem by solving an equally difficult problem. Its just sa hard to get a film made or a book published as it is to get a game made. There are just as many wannabe authors and script writers out there as there are wannabe game designers. It doesn't make any sense to invest 5 years trying to get a film made of your idea just so you can get it made into a game - much better to just get an entry level job in the industry and work your way up until you are in a position to do your project.

Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
"I am on of the people who have had an idea for a game, rather than amazing new gameplay more of making a good complex story, and hopefull creating a good combat system, mixing elemtents from previous games of it's kind."

Then this is not a game idea. It's a story. If you can prove yourself a good writer you might become a writer for a game, but that particular job title is few and far between. Usually games either have the designers write the story (sometimes ok, sometime a very bad idea) or they contract their stories out to professional writers.

Until you pitch some sort of compelling gameplay, though, you are not designing a game. That is ok, just remember that a game isn't a story.

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

Quote:Original post by OdHero
I guess what I mean is, if I approach a games company, with a plan of all my ideas, thats in depth detail of story gameplay charcters etc, would they take the time to read through and consider looking at making a game out of it. Kind of in the same way someone gets a book published. I mean instead of just having a good idea and saying to a company 'Hey guys, I had this idea for a great game, just imagine pac man meets tetris, i can explain it abit more, but want to make my game, its sure to be a hit'.

I would say you'd have to get a job at the company before you started pitching ideas to them. A writer of the book doesn't have some concept layed out, and gives it to a publisher to write the actual book.
Quote:Original post by OdHero
Anyway, I was wondering what do these people think idea as? Because when I think of it I mean having a plan of charchters, story, areas, enemies, gameplay elements etc, all planeed on paper. I was hoping that this was the start of showing my ideas to developers and see what they thought. Are most people thinking that ideas are rubbish in the form of 'Oh my lord, I though up of an amazing idea for a game, it crosses pac man with tetris!', or does a detailed plan of my ideas count for nothing?

No, it's just that everyone has (good) ideas, and that you need a lot more than just ideas to actually get your game made. Not because your idea is bad (it may or may not be), but because, well, why would anyone else use it?

First, they'd have to work out a legal arrangement with you. Who gets the rights? What if you later decide to sue them for abusing or stealing your idea or something?

Second, why would they use outside ideas in the first place? That's assuming they can't come up with any themselves. And I doubt that's ever happened.
Hmm, how about if your idea is based on new game theory and systems not curently used in the industry? technical theory design?
Including Psuedo code, spreadsheets, maths involved, basic program demonstrating systems in action and so on.
You want to pitch to people who people who need mechanics, not game ideas, people looking for new systems, not recycled ideas?
As you say, "an idea" is not much unless you can demonstrate and finance, but what if you take your unique systems out of your idea and try to pitch to game companies who may have a project just waiting for a fresh system?
Something that could be applied to many different games and turn them from "another clone" to a completely new style?
I understand my game ideas will never go anywhere no matter how good they are, but is there possibilities of being a technical consultant and game mechanics designer if your game theory is that good?
It usually works the other way. They want to do something and they aren't quite sure how to do it, so they find a consultant for that topic.

I insist... the only way to pitch is demo in hand. Sometimes a rendered video works if you can convince them you can pull trough. And then, of course, you'd have to pull trough.
Working on a fully self-funded project
Quote:Original post by Tharsis
I understand my game ideas will never go anywhere no matter how good they are, but is there possibilities of being a technical consultant and game mechanics designer if your game theory is that good?
Your just asking the same question using different words. "Can I sell my [design/technical] idea" so the answer is the same as above.

There are two ways to do business. The establishment way and the maveric way. If you want to do business with the establishment you have to do it on their terms. In the case of the games industry that means having proven experience in the industry and shipped titles, before anyone will listen to what you have to say. In much the same way as every other industry a consultant is deemed to be someone with proven experience in the field they are consulting in.

If you have an idea but don't have the necessary experience to get the establishment to listen to you then the only option is the maveric way - that means doing it yourself, taking all the risk yourself. Think Dyson and his cyclone vaccum cleaner, which none of the established companies would touch. He had to find the money himself, take all the risk himself - go into debt and risk it all. Alternatively using your communications skills to convince others to make your idea a reality (in other words posting a Help Wanted and getting a hobby team to make it).
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement