BOOKS (again)

Started by
7 comments, last by Sylveste 18 years, 3 months ago
I have been researching and i have seen many good reviews on books for beginning C++. I have no expierence in programming but feel like I can learn C++ if i have a good enough reference (this site and BOOKS). I have herd that Beginning C++ Game Programing by Michael Dawson is a great place to start but its hard looking at multipule sites because some of them say this book is good for people who have never programed before but others say that you do need experience. I have also herd nothing but praises about C++ Primer 4th ed. But i dont know if it is referenced to game programming at all, and being a "NOOB" i dont know if there is a difference Any input would be awesome from u guys and yall always do a great job of helping out the beginners....THX
Advertisement
I cannot recommend any beginning C++ book, but I can say that you will likely find C++ Primer to be very difficult and confusing. It is an excellent book, but the text is pretty dry, goes into more detail than you'd likely want, and it has few examples. It is a gold mine, however, if you really want to understand why the language was written how it was and if you want to know all of its nuances. I do not recommend it for beginners to programming altogether, but only to those who have programming experience and know a bit of C or C++ already.
h20, member of WFG 0 A.D.
ya thats why im asking because all sites with reviews are different and i wasn't sure if C++ primer was geared twoards gaming but GameDev.Net reccomends it as a great beginner book but i'll see....THX
I bought a book called "C++ a beginner's guide" 2nd ed. by Herbert Schildt.
It helps, but I also get lost on the topic, as I'm a complete noob as well.
I just think that the authors get carried away and become technical too quickly...
I'm sorry I can't help you, but I can say that you should supplement your book-learning with tutorials, and help from vets.

plz correct me if I'm wrong here people...
If you're new to programming all together, don't worry about looking for a beginners C++ book that involves gaming. Just concentrate on learning the language 1st... variables/arrays/pointers/functions/classes/etc (my opinion). My first C++ book was "Programming and Problem Solving with C++, Fourth Edition" which I got from my school library. However, C++ was Not the first language I learned; it was Visual Basic. So, unfortunately I can’t tell you if it would be right for you. Good luck.
Beginning c++ game programming is a pretty good book. It doesn't concern graphics programming at all. It just teaches the basics of the c++ language that you will need to further your programming skills. YOu learn to make games like guess the number and hangman. The chapters are pretty useful it it is a good read throughout.
I used C++ The Complete Reference, Third Edition by Robert Schildt. It was a great learning book in University when I didn't know any programming at all, and it still serves as a great reference book. The explanations are very clear and the examples are meaningful yet simple and manageable. It's divided into two parts: C and C++. I have 3 books on C/C++ and this one is by far the best.
Thx alot guys, anyone know anything about C++ Primer?...cuz its not set around gaming and someone said that I would just want to learn the language first.

I bought "C++ without fear" by brian overland last november.
I was a total newbie then, and I'm already making my first
graphical game. I feel it was a great book, I would recommend it
to anyone wanting to learn C++.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement