Sign in to follow this  

DirectX and VB.NET

This topic is 4360 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey :) I've recently started my Software Design major work and i plan to make a 3D game. I picked up a book about programming games with DirectX using C++, but not knowing C++ or direct made this a hard task. I have learnt the theory of how DirectX works but i need to find some tutorials for Visual Basic.NET to get the syntax correct. The main aspects that i need include: - Loading .X meshes (characters, maps and objects) - Object Collision Detection - Direct 3D - DirectInput - DirectPlay The more i think about it, the more worried (and slightly paraniod) i get. If anyone could point me in the right direction, or provide some sample source code they would gain my Abundant Gratitude.

Quote:
Original post by Potato King
I've recently started my Software Design major work and i plan to make a 3D game.

Do you have any previous experience with games development and/or 3D graphics programming?

If not, you may well want to slow down and cover the fundamentals. Playing games might be fun, but making them can be a whole bundle of trouble and hard work [smile]

Quote:
I have learnt the theory of how DirectX works but i need to find some tutorials for Visual Basic.NET to get the syntax correct.

VB.NET accesses DirectX through the "Managed DirectX" library - which is the same how C# will access it. From an API point of view, you should be able to learn from C# examples. There are a LOT more C# tutorials around than VB.NET - so you might be best looking at those. The Z Buffer and Pieter Germishuys's website are a good starting point.

Quote:
- Loading .X meshes (characters, maps and objects)

If you're dealing with simple static .X file meshes then the tutorial in the SDK should get you rolling. If you're wanting to work with animation then it gets harder [smile]

Quote:
- Object Collision Detection

This is more of a physics issue, it can get very complex [oh] You might be best off asking over at Maths & Physics for some guidance here.

Quote:
- DirectPlay

DirectPlay shouldn't be used anymore. Go with Windows Sockets or whatever "default" networking features the .NET platform offers.

Quote:
The more i think about it, the more worried (and slightly paraniod) i get.
I would advise you to thoroughly design this before you get too far into the code. All of the things that you've mentioned can get extremely complex - it'll help you keep your sanity if you define what you need in order to satisfy the project requirements.

hth
Jack

This topic is 4360 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.