Sign in to follow this  

DirectShow, include error, Ddraw dependency [SOLVED]

This topic is 4353 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I've decided to learn a little about DirectShow, but I'm having problems getting started. I'm using the DirectX 9.0 October SDK with Visual Studio 2005 I've included Dshow.h in the project and am having problems with some of the dependencies it introduces. There is one build error:
Error	1	fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'ddraw.h': No such file or directory	f:\programming\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\dshow.h	36
As I can recall, DirectDraw has been phased out and was replaced by Direct3D. Is there a part of the SDK that I'm missing or is the DirectShow header out of date? It seems odd that DirectShow would depend on part of DirectX that has been phased out. [Edited by - aaron_ds on January 10, 2006 2:38:49 PM]

Observe:

f:\programming\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\dshow.h

Unless you installed the DXSDK to the same path as the headers/libs that came with your build environment - something I do not recommend - then it's using the wrong version of the DirectShow header.

Well DirectShow (thus dshow.h) has been moved to the PSDK, so it's not strictly part of DirectX anymore. VC8 includes a version of the PSDK which I assume is reasonably current as of November 2005 - which should be more up to date than when DShow was moved (early '05 iirc). Thus it's quite likely that you are using the most up to date version of DirectShow [smile]

However, DirectDraw (irrespective of it being deprecated) is still part of DirectX - so to find ddraw.h the compiler would have to search the DX-SDK's folders (I have ddraw.h, dated 27th September 2004, included in my December 2005 release of the DX-SDK).

Given that you say you have a DX-SDK installed it's odd that you're not finding it [oh] Are your include/lib paths correctly configured to search the SDK?

hth
Jack

Ahh, yes, adding the DirectX SDK include folder as an include path resolved the problem. Dare I ask why Dshow.h is being redistributed in the standard visual studio include path?

Thank you for all your help.

Quote:
Original post by aaron_ds
Dare I ask why Dshow.h is being redistributed in the standard visual studio include path?

DirectShow was moved over to the Platform SDK, the platform SDK is included with non-express editions of Visual Studio...

If you download a version of the PSDK you'll find it in there as well.

hth
Jack

This topic is 4353 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.