C#

Started by
7 comments, last by superpig 18 years, 3 months ago
I've heard of this language before but I'm not too familiar with it. Is it better than C or C++? What can it do? Is the "New Language of the Age" or something? lol. Rapidarp
Advertisement
http://genamics.com/developer/csharp_comparative.htm
So basically it's a stronger, more simplified version of C++?
I've had a good look at C# over the last 12 months and my first thoughts were why did MS invent this language with the myriad of other languages we have, but giving it a chance i think it's a great language for developing windows forms apps. I'm sure it could be as equally as powerful for game programming also. I however, will stick to C/C++ for gaming applications though as there is a massive wealth of resources on it.
Mordt: I'm just a beginner C++ programmer so take my advice with a grain of salt.Krayven Entertainment
Quote:Original post by rapidarp
So basically it's a stronger, more simplified version of C++?
Personally, I'd say it's closer to Java. In any case, I think it's one that'll be useful to have some experience with.
I wouldn't say c# is "stronger" or a "successor" to c++ really...

When they designed C# they took influence from c++ and java(which itself got influence from c++ and smalltalk). I don't see anything revolutionary about it, it is just another language in the series of evolution of languages.

What's big about it is that microsoft is pushing C# applications (running on the microsoft CLR) as the next thing for windows.

Definitely they simplified a lot of the features of c++, and added new features as well. I don't personally like C# as a language, though, so I will continue to use java and C++.
Quote:Original post by rapidarp
Is it better than C or C++?

Yes*.

Quote:What can it do?

Probably most things that you would want it to.

Quote:Is the "New Language of the Age" or something?

No.

John B

* This statement is based on the following evidence:
Of the people I know who have tried C# and are in any kind of position to judge its merits, they all like it and prefer it to C++ and C. The only time I have seen C# being judged as poor (by people with the experience to judge) has been in comparisons with other languages entirely (for example: Common Lisp). Those same people give the same or worse judgement of C++ and C.
As I am only in the early stages of learning C# myself, I don't think I really have the necessary experience to include my own opinion in the evidence, but having said that, I like it so far.

No doubt many people will reply saying that you have to judge a programming language in context and that saying "C# is better than C++" is an empty statement. Yes, of course this is true. Nevertheless, I believe the majority of reasonably experienced programmers who have used both C++ and C# would say they prefer C# (even if they continue to use C++, for reasons of portability/existing code base/experience/whatever.)
The best thing about the internet is the way people with no experience or qualifications can pretend to be completely superior to other people who have no experience or qualifications.
So for just programming windows software (not games) it would be fine? Or should I just stick to learning C++?
The best thing about C# is the tools for it. Play with a C# project in the new version of Visual Studio and you'll see what I mean.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement