Sign in to follow this  

reading from a text file

This topic is 4357 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to read in character by character from a text file. Now I've done this plenty of times before and know the basics of it but here's the catch. I want to add it to my solution so it compiles with my project. That way no one can see what was in the original file. I just can't think of a good way to read from the file when it's already in there.

Quote:
Original post by gellin
I want to read in character by character from a text file. Now I've done this plenty of times before and know the basics of it but here's the catch. I want to add it to my solution so it compiles with my project. That way no one can see what was in the original file. I just can't think of a good way to read from the file when it's already in there.

So you mean you want to add the text file to your project and embed it into a C (or whatever languege) source file so it gets embedded into the application?

If that's what you want, you're going to have to convert your text file into source code and use the text to initialize a string (C string, std::string, Java.string, BSS region, /common/ block, whatever your language is).

Quote:
Original post by Bregma
So you mean you want to add the text file to your project and embed it into a C (or whatever languege) source file so it gets embedded into the application?

If that's what you want, you're going to have to convert your text file into source code and use the text to initialize a string (C string, std::string, Java.string, BSS region, /common/ block, whatever your language is).

Yes I want to embed it. I was just hoping there was some way to still read it in like a normal text file without have to convert the file into a string beforehand.

If you're using C++ you can use a stringstream and just read like a file from that, but there's not really a lot of point. What has the text file got in it anyway? Anybody with a hex editor will probably be able to dig it out of the EXE without even really knowing the binary format.

This topic is 4357 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.