• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

x-box & directx

This topic is 6248 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

will the x-box use directx as API? will it be easy for pc-game-programmers to develop for it?

Advertisement
Last I heard it was actually DirectX 8.0

Although, WHY would you need a layer of software that''s designed to interface with a variety of hardware drivers, when in fact it will only be interfacing with ONE? Seems stupid and slow to me.
I suspect as developers grow comfortable with the X-Box they''ll start "writing to the metal". Ahhhh, that sounds like fun =)

Guest Anonymous Poster
Most of the newer console systems are now shipping with built in OSes (Dreamcast uses WinCE), well the X-Box supposedly uses a kernel similar to Win2000. X-Box using DX was very predictable since this is a MS product. From what I heard it''s somewhat similar to Windows programming with the exception that there''s only one Window and it must be full screen.

Has anyone signed up for the independent x-box developer program? I have, they''ve sent me a couple of emails and stuff, apparently it wont get going till the middle of this month.

Being "neccessary" isnt really the point, really (sorry if that sounded repetitive heh)

By using the common DirectX API for both PC and XBox, MS has basically allowed for the ultimate in portability from console to PC (which of course is often a difficult process).

Granted, the xbox is a console so the main feature of directx/opengl is pretty much negated.

But this approach will likely open many PC developers up to the concept of console development.

My 2 cents.

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:

Although, WHY would you need a layer of software that''s designed to interface with a variety of hardware drivers, when in fact it will only be interfacing with ONE? Seems stupid and slow to me.

Why can''t the DX calls be implemented as going directly to the hardware (no driver overhead)?

This is the model that WinCE follows, no drivers, system calls go directly to hardware.

From what I''ve heard, I believe they''re chopping and re-writing some portions of DirectX specifically for XBox. Namely the portions that deal with typical PC problems, like multiple configurations. Some website had a few opening pages out of the XDK up, that''s where I''ve read it, but I can''t find it now. It''s not quite DX8, but very close.

Radhil Trebors
Persona Under Construction

You people seem to be forgetting something else about directx: something written for one version will work in a later version. So when X-Box2 comes out in 2003-4, you''ll easily be able to run older games on it.

• Advertisement