• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Genjix

[web] linux web development

This topic is 4575 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, Has anyone tried to do any kind of web development on Linux? Is it even possible to make good looking professional sites? If so, how? Most of a web developers toolbox seems to be missing (flash, dreamweaver), so how can I cope? Thanks

Advertisement
so when i worked at Ofoto (now http://www.kodakgallery.com) we used vi to do all the site coding (jsp/html/java). let go your dreamweaver crutch. =)

I'm sure there are graphics editing tools a plenty out there to replace photoshop. Not sure about the options for flash.

-me

I do all my webdevelopment in Linux. I use Bluefish as my editor, GIMP for my images and gFTP for my FTPing needs (Bluefish can work over FTP, but a good FTP client is better for mass uploading/moving/deleting). I use FireFox, Opera, Links, IE5, IE5.5 and IE6 (the latter 3 running on Wine) to check my websites. There probabely are flash editors for Linux but I never use flash. If you need a WYSIWYG editor (I don't) then have a look at Mozilla Composer or Nvu.

Yeah, I do about 93% of all my development in some kind of text editor. I really don't like code completion too much, it messes up my flow as I've trained myself to open and close braces together etc., I know I can turn these features off, but why not just use a text editor?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!