Sign in to follow this  

CVS question ...

This topic is 4352 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Sorry, Didn't know where this question was appropriate. But I have my engine source and files going good now and want to try to get it on a CVS install. I remember having headaches before trying to set one up, was wondering if anyone had some handy tutorials or links on getting it setup and working. Thx in advance, Brandon

Is it on just 1 computer? Then it's easy (on Windows at least).

Just install CVSNT and TortoiseCVS (or another CVS client, I just prefer this one), there shouldn't be any troubles doing this.
First you create a CVSROOT folder somewhere on your harddrive (via CVSNT), then you make a module out of your engine's folder (via the shortcuts Tortoise provide you, when you right-click the folder). After that, it's all about Add to contents (new files/folders) and Commit (adding to CVS as newest version).
You can include all file types by adding a ! (exclamation mark) in TortoiseCVS Preferences (under Ignored Files). You can even change the icons for CVS'ed folders in Tortoise.

For multiple computers, here's what I've done. I've installed CVSROOT in my htdocs folder in my Apache folder (yup, I'm using an Apache server). That way I can use CVS from multiple computers via Apache, and also on the server.

Cederqvist is both a great introduction and reference (but it is mainly aimed at unix like setups). I use Cygwin, so once the cvs packages were installed, the setup was fairly straight forward. For local windows only networks, simply sharing the repository directory should be the simplest solution (though not the most secure).

For linux and windows networks, set up the repository on a linux machine, and set the environment variables as follows,

CVSROOT=":ext:username@servername:/usr/local/cvsroot"
CVS_RSH="SSH"

A little bit more work, but much more secure.

Another alternative to CVS is Perforce. Both are good, i use CVS at home and Perforce at work. Heard (though haven't checked myself), that Perforce have a free licesces that limit the number of users to 2. John Hattan recently wrote an Perforce article here on Gamedev.net.

Thanks so much guys for the suggestion. I have 2 dedicated linux boxes atm. I would like to get a windows box setup, but dont have one atm. I've used Perforce in the past for work as well. Love Perforce, just too expensive for me, but if they have free 2 accounts I may look at that then.

Thx so much for the responses guys, again.

Brandon

This topic is 4352 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.