Sign in to follow this  

Grammatically correct: ProjectileManager or ProjectilesManager?

This topic is 4348 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This really is driving me insane; what name does a class that manages projectiles have, is it singular: ProjectileManager or is it plural: ProjectilesManager? It is for the C#/MDX game I've been working on the last 7 months and which I intend to release the source to When It's Donetm. I really am going mental anytime soon... So once and for all, what is the correct name? Thanks. EDIT: Gramaticly Grammatically [Edited by - Enselic on January 11, 2006 1:58:13 PM]

Lol, this reminds me of a development job I had a few years ago. It involved the use of a SQL database together with accessing code. The table in the DB containing all entities (for example) would be called "ENTITY" while the code object representing this table would be given the name "Entities" and the object used to compile a group of entities would be called "EntityCompiler"!

More than once this was the source of arguments with some people wanting to change "ENTITY" to "ENTITIES" or something...

Luckily someone usually fought them back with a pointed stick and got everyone back to the task of actually doing something productive!

(But anyway, using good grammer when naming classes is always worth it IMO as then everyone can usually correctly guess the name of the various classes without having to memorise which classes break the rules.)

Mike.

Enselic's Swedish Lesson v0.001:
Projectile => Projektil
Projectiles => Projektiler
Manager => well we have no good word for this, but we could say Hushållare

Now, ProjectilesManager in swedish => ProjektilerHushållare sounds just plain stupid. So if I wrote code in Swedish, I would have no doubts.

I do however write code in English, and I think both ProjectileManager and ProjectilesManager sounds OK, so that's why I wanted to ask native english speaking people how these sound.

Quote:
Original post by Argus2
I should think, if you are interested in naming your classes informatively, "ProjectileManager" if an instance only manages one projectile at a time, and "ProjectilesManager" in any other case.

I agree with Kitt3n, Manager implies many items of type Projectile.

Quote:
Original post by Argus2
I should think, if you are interested in naming your classes informatively, "ProjectileManager" if an instance only manages one projectile at a time, and "ProjectilesManager" in any other case.

Whenever Microsoft names something "manager" they never use the plural form even though that is always how the system is used. It's called Task Manager not "Tasks" Manager. The plural form would be redundant. Individual objects don't need managers, if anything they need an interface.

I agree that the term 'manager' seems to imply it has more than one 'employee', but it doesn't necessarily mean that, it technically means "One who handles, controls, or directs". So I think in proper english, ProjectileManager means a manager of a projectile. ProjectilesManager means a manager of several projectiles.
I've had these problems in my projects too, I usually just pick one then forget about it.[wink]

I think it should be called "PeanutButterLover".

If you're worried about a detail like that, then take a 3 day mandatory breather from your project!!

Back yet?

Okay, now just finish the game. Call it what you want, it doesn't matter. Just put in the object's documentation what it does, and you're done.

(I'm not dissing you man...just giving you a bit of a shake. *grin*)

hth,

Quote:
Original post by TheOther
Call it what you want, it doesn't matter.

Doesn't one of them sound stupid? If you spoke Swedish, ProjectilerHushållare would be an 'Ehrm, no...'.

I mean both of them can't be right, can they?

Guest Anonymous Poster
Could this be a competitor to premature optimization for the title of least effective use of time?

Something to think about: depending on the context of the class, you may be able to factor "Manager" out of the name completely, and devise a name which does not suffer from the ambiguity of whether or not it deals with more than one object.

Task(s)Manager may be called Kernel,
Cow(s)Manager may be called Cowboy or Cowhand,
Book(s)Manager may be called Librarian, etc.

For a projectile-managing class, one that doesn't lend itself well for easy adoption of an alternative name, I would conform to what we hear most in everyday life:

class RocketScientist; // deals with rockets - all forms of rockets.
class CigaretteCompany; // makes lots and lots of cigarettes.
class GameDesigner; // designs (hopefully) many games

So, either use ProjectileManager or not, just be consistent throughout your codebase.

edit: careful, though. Context is the most important thing to consider. TruckDriver may drive multiple trucks, but only one at a time. [grin]

Quote:
Original post by Daggett
I agree that the term 'manager' seems to imply it has more than one 'employee', but it doesn't necessarily mean that, it technically means "One who handles, controls, or directs". So I think in proper english, ProjectileManager means a manager of a projectile. ProjectilesManager means a manager of several projectiles.
I've had these problems in my projects too, I usually just pick one then forget about it.[wink]

That's the thing, there is no
Quote:
Original post by Daggett
manager of a projectile

The projectile object may have an interface, but it does not have a manager. Managers are for a pool of resources.

Quote:
The projectile object may have an interface, but it does not have a manager. Managers are for a pool of resources.
If you want to say that 'manager' implicitly indicates plurality of the subject, what about 'City Manager' or 'Company Manager'? In such cases the subject is deemed to be singular. So the singular form is ambiguous - one could not say for sure whether 'X Manager' handles multiple instances of X or just one. But 'Xs Manager' is always a manager which can handle multiple X objects.

Quote:
Original post by Argus2
If you want to say that 'manager' implicitly indicates plurality of the subject, what about 'City Manager' or 'Company Manager'?

One could argue that a good name for such classes would be 'Mayor' or 'CEO', respectively.

Quote:
Original post by Argus2
Quote:
If you want to say that 'manager' implicitly indicates plurality of the subject, what about 'City Manager' or 'Company Manager'? In such cases the subject is deemed to be singular. So the singular form is ambiguous - one could not say for sure whether 'X Manager' handles multiple instances of X or just one. But 'Xs Manager' is always a manager which can handle multiple X objects.

A City Manager manages one city, true, but a city contains several resources. It is a way of saying 'Money, Education, Taxes, Staff etc Manager'. Same goes for Company Manager. So we indirectly deal with plural.

(EDIT: Btw, this is my 1000th post!)

[Edited by - Enselic on January 13, 2006 4:42:12 PM]

Quote:
Quote:
Original post by Daggett
manager of a projectile

My point is that this is not necessarily the case, there is no reason why a single projectile can't have a manager. Thus, to avoid ambiguities, ProjectilesManager would be a better choice. But it's really not a big deal, either one would work.

Quote:
Original post by Argus2
Quote:

Those are people not software engine components. You could define them as such, but that really isn't a "manager" in the context of programming. Once you change contexts words can have very different meanings.
Quote:
Original post by Daggett
Quote:
Quote:
Original post by Daggett
manager of a projectile

My point is that this is not necessarily the case, there is no reason why a single projectile can't have a manager. Thus, to avoid ambiguities, ProjectilesManager would be a better choice. But it's really not a big deal, either one would work.

Sounds like a great recipe for bad software design. The projectile should have an interface. If something within it needs management then you may have a manager for each internal piece that requires management. The projectile itself is one item, management entails operations on multiple items.

This topic is 4348 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.