Sign in to follow this  

Multisampling + Float Color Buffer...

This topic is 4356 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How is it possible to render something with multisampling and a float colorbuffer at once? I fail to create pixel formats for pbuffers which do the job and without this framebuffer_multisample extension which doesn't seem to be supported by usual hardware yet I can't see a way to render to such a colorbuffer. The system provided main framebuffer doesn't seem to be able to be used with more than 32 Bits per Pixel and is useless for higher precision floats that way. It would be possible to render to a texture with 4x the amount of pixels and scale the image down with linear texture filtering, but that's more like supersampling and should be pretty slow. Is there a way to tell the GL to obtain just 1 texture sample of each texture per quad of pixels to emulate multisampling? Are there any other tricks to get a multisampled hdr image?

If your card doesn't expose float buffer + multisample pixel formats, it may indicate a lack of hardware support for the combination, in which case framebuffer_multisample probably wouldn't help either. You might try supersampling... the performance may exceed your expectations. But then again, it might not.

Cool, some help from one of the creators of the extension:

"EXT_framebuffer_multisample is not supported on any nvidia GPU at the
moment. This is a very new extension. We will support the new
extension in a future driver version, and when we do I expect that it
will be available on all GPUs that already support
EXT_framebuffer_object.

Until then, you cannot use multisample + FBO. You could do your own
supersampling as a workaround until a driver supporting FBO +
multisample is available. Or you could render to a multisample pbuffer
and either DrawPixels or CopyTexSubImage from the pbuffer to a
single-sample texture."

As I wrote before, pbuffers don't work unfortunately, so I'll do the supersampling thing and beliefe that I can change that later when this new driver is available!

This topic is 4356 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.