Sign in to follow this  

can an index buffer to combine two vertex buffers

This topic is 4354 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is it possible to use one index buffer to combine the vertices from two or more vertex buffers? - Simple example showing concept (not what I need to do): I have 2 planes and I need to get 2 edge vertices from each buffer and put 2 triangles in the middle. VB1 . VB2 *-1 . 2-* |\| . |\| *-3 . 4-* each box is in a seperate vertex buffer * are edge verticies not needed 1-4 are verticies I need to get from seperate vertex buffers and put into an index buffer? Is it possible/how do you do it? [Edited by - Valor Knight on January 10, 2006 6:14:33 PM]

That's not what Index Buffers are for, no. You also can't combine vertices from different Vertex Buffers in that way. (Vertex streams do allow multiple vertex buffers to be used simultaneously, but in a completely different way)

You'll probably not get around duplicating a couple of vertices along the seams, unless it makes sense to combine the two vertex buffers into one big vertex buffer, which is certainly worth considering.

~phil

No, I cannot combine the vertex buffers because they are ~5megs each. I am trying to patch together diffrent objects and was hoping that there was a way to do it so I would only have to calculate the seams at run time.

This topic is 4354 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.