School Thesis, Request For Help.

Started by
13 comments, last by jollyjeffers 18 years, 3 months ago
Quote:Original post by gmasterluis
The above mentioned article I found seems very useful, can you guys tell me if it's accurate?

It's accurate, but it may not be quite what you're looking for. That's a treatment of the graphics pipeline as it relates specifically to GPUs. If you're more interested in the underlying theory and algorithms, that information will be less useful to you.

EDIT:
Quote:...as well as one of Mr. (or maybe Dr.? not sure...) Abrash's earliest (or possibly first) works, Zen of Assembly Language.
A great book, but not closely related to this subject area (though I do vaguely recall a discussion of scanline filling).

[Edited by - Sneftel on January 10, 2006 11:42:41 PM]
Advertisement
no, the Zen of Assembly Language book would just be for myself, to learn assembly... it's always been interesting to me, and I'd like to know more about it (not use the book as a tutorial, but as a reference).

i see how that article gives the information on how it all occurs... its not in-depth, but it does seem accurate enough for my teacher... its a simple english project, not a technology class project. i dont need to go into excruciating detail, just enough so that she knows whats going on behind-the-scenes once my presentation is said and done.
Have you taken a look at citeseer? Should give you give you plenty of real references. Here is the mirror at MIT.

Generally it is a good idea actually attempt to read the papers -- you can use the citation count to help you seperate the important ones from the ones that just have flashy titles. Also, don't be afraid of dates. If you are writing about something as basic as geometry processing than many of the ideas have been around for some time. On this sort of subject modern papers will generally focus on some specific aspect and not the general problem. Of course you can always walk the citation tree and find root sources that way, but I doubt you will need (or want) to go that far.
I second the recommendation for Foley et al. I think Realtime Rendering might have some of this stuff in as well - it's certainly a book any graphics programmer worth his salt should have ready access to a copy of.

Quote:Original post by Fallen God
Ummm, sorry if im mistaken....but I thought you werent allowed to ask for help with schoolwork?

You are indeed mistaken. We don't allow people to just ask for the board to give them the answer or to write their program for them, but asking for what one needs to enable oneself to do the work is perfectly OK.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote:Original post by superpig
I think Realtime Rendering might have some of this stuff in as well - it's certainly a book any graphics programmer worth his salt should have ready access to a copy of.

* Pick up book from next to the mouse *

Yeah, Real-Time Rendering Second Edition is a must-have in my opinion. Chapter 2 ('The Graphics Pipeline') covers the various stages at a fairly high level and Chapter 3 ('Transforms') covers the mathematics behind the various stages.

I would say that it isn't the best book if you need hardcore mathematical proof/theory.

However, you haven't specified whether you're interested in graphics as a general subject or the real-time aspect of it. Strictly they are the same thing, but there are some parts of "general 3D graphics" that tend to be ignored or simplified for real-time purposes. For more general graphics stuff, Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice might be more appropriate.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement