School Thesis, Request For Help.

Started by
13 comments, last by jollyjeffers 18 years, 3 months ago
Hello everyone! I'm relatively new to the forums, but I've been coming here for a long time. I'm currently developing a title with a few friends, but I'm still a student... and I have to write a thesis paper (on just about anything). The topic I chose was the processing of geometry (or basically any computer generated imagery) and the subsequent display onto the screen... in layman's terms (to help my generalised teacher's ignorance) processing of graphics to show on the computer. However, I'm a complete dolt, and picked this: 'the processing of geometry and the subsequent display onto the screen'. It's the same thing as above. it's a conundrum, I dare say! What I need now, as most of you know, are some references for how this actually occurs... I know how to carry it out, and show it to the teacher, but I need references and sources explaining the process (or at least, listing and somewhat elaborating on the steps) of how geometry is rendered on screen and such. If anyone knows of such sources, please help. I have scoured google (for a personal record of 3 hours, about 4,000 results I actually went to) to no avail. Please assist me, I need to pass, and I actually like this subject matter. Oh, and my mother would stab me with a clothes hanger in the face if I didn't pass. Thanks in advance to all! - Luis P.S. If I posted this in the wrong board, I apologize :)
Advertisement
Ummm, sorry if im mistaken....but I thought you werent allowed to ask for help with schoolwork?
Well, what I'm asking is if anyone can find/lead me in the right direction of sources... recommend a book, link me to a website, things of that nature.

Asking for someone to write my paper would be a complete no-no. However, the teacher did say I could ask around (I'm a freshman high-school student, by the way... 9th grade around here )
Well, it sounds like you want to know about (a) 3D geometry and affine and projective transformations as they apply to computer graphics, and (b) scanline rasterization of 3D primitives. This is the stuff that most introductory computer graphics textbooks will cover. To pick one at random off the shelf: Hill, Francis. Computer Graphics Using OpenGL. Second Edition. Prentice Hall, 2000. ISBN 0-02-354856-8.
That's what I was looking for, I just wasn't sure how to say it (I know about technology, but I'm not very familiar with the very deep jargon/terminology).

Thanks a lot, I'll look into that one.

If anyone else has any more reccomendations, please tell me.
Really, one of the definitive books on computer graphics is:

Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice
by James D. Foley, Andries Van Dam, Steven K. Feiner, John F. Hughes

It's a bit advanced, but I'd challenge anyone to find a better resource for graphics techniques (well, save Abrash's black book, but that's WAY advanced).

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

Thank you as well. I will be using both as references for this paper and for any of my future graphics-related projects :)
Do a search for "graphics pipeline" and you will find plenty of information.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
This book is excellent:
3D Graphics Programming: Games and Beyond

It covers the math and the actual processes behind graphics programming starting from line algorithms, going into 2d polygons and then going into perspective transformations and 3d work. A very solid read, a good price, and it's not too long.

It is also a platform and code independant explanation, but there is sample code and an entire engine written and supplied in c++ and a finished chess game. I don't know if it's a better reference than others listed, but if you haven't seen it, I'd suggest giving it a look. It isn't particularly detailed in some areas, but it's a nice reference.
_______________________"You're using a screwdriver to nail some glue to a ming vase. " -ToohrVyk
All those are excellent references, but I have to especially thank the person who gave me the suggestion on what to search. On the first results page, I found this article:

http://www.devhardware.com/c/a/Video-Cards/The-Graphics-Pipeline/

That article is extremely worthwile, and it seems to provide a good amount of detailed, though simple to understand information.

I will be picking up copies of Computer Graphics: Principles and Practice, 3D Graphics Programming: Games And Beyond, as well as one of Mr. (or maybe Dr.? not sure...) Abrash's earliest (or possibly first) works, Zen of Assembly Language.

The above mentioned article I found seems very useful, can you guys tell me if it's accurate?

Thank you all very much for your help, it's been great to see how immediate of a response I got from this community.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement