Sign in to follow this  

*sigh* it's time to start doing instead of talking, but first a question

This topic is 4355 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

a quick one, i've tried a few C++ ide/compiler combos, and i didn't like them, i like the VS.NET IDE. but i got a question, can i use the VC++ express 2005 IDE without using anything to do with .NET?

i see "empty project" in the new project list. i'm assuming i do that

then all i do after that is not add any references(i'm new to C++, i remember having to add references to the .NET namespaces in C#) to any of the .NET namespaces(namespaces right?)

Right. If you don't specify anything using .NET, you'll be using standard C++ (assuming you chose an empty C++ project, anyway)

It's actually a bit unfortunate that they chose to name it "Visual Studio .NET", because this is a common confusion, people thinking that there is a such thing as "Visual Studio NOT-.NET", which in all actuality Visual Studio .NET is Visual Studio 2003-2006.

if your coming out of C# into C++, C++/C doesnt use refrences they use libs, and linkers etc. a windows project would link a bunch of .lib files. instead of a windows project in C# would reference System.Windows.Forms.dll

managed C++ is microsofts attempt to make C++ a bit like C#, so just used unmanaged and its real C++ not microsofts ignorant attempt to change it. managed is still C++ but the functions an d classes are changed etc...

i reccomend this to get you started.

cool, thanks for the info, i'll check that site out too.

now i need a list of reading material, just got C++ Primer Plus 4th ed. i'm working on getting C++ How to Program (i liked the deitel C# book), C++ The Complete Reference 3rd ed, and Beginning C++ Game Programming. any others i should get?

You listed a lot of C++-from-scratch-type books. I would recommend getting only one or two of those (I hear Beginning C++ Game programming is good, as it ties all the C++ language to game design, and I know from experience that C++ in 21 days is good [but please note that you wont actually learn it in 21 days]).

I would recommend some more focused books for your other books. For example, a book that focuses on Object-Oriented Programming, and the thought-and-design process associated with OO design. A book on OOP will really get you in the data abstraction mindset, and (hopefully) convince you that it is NOT cool to make everything 'public' in your class (as well as the "why" behind this conclusion).

Another good focused book would be one on data structures. I hear there is an excellent book on data structures and their uses in game design. I havn't read it, but in theory it should be a great information source. There are also many more general books on data structures (i.e they cover data structures in-depth and general uses, but dont focus on their uses in game design).

Lastly, I recommend the book Programming RPGs with DirectX (FIRST edition), as this covers techniques used in a lot of games such as scripting, basic graphics, sound, and it pretty much walks you through making both a 2d- and a 3d-game (it's geared towards RPGs, but the information is invaluable to all types of games).

also, keep in mind that any one of these books is potentially thicker than a bible, and how many people do you know who have read through an entire bible??

My point is, trying to read any more than 4 or 5 books would be a ridiculous task, although I admire your enthusiasm.

i must say, you dont need books for C++ learning its a waste of money and time places like cppreference.com and cplus.about.com tell you ALL you need to know. in great detail i might add. if you decide to try and learn via the extended amount of tutorials online, PM me or add me to msn at coolguy_5000@hotmail.com ill give ya a hand :P

Quote:
Original post by C plus noob
i must say, you dont need books for C++ learning its a waste of money and time places like cppreference.com and cplus.about.com tell you ALL you need to know.

Nope.

Quote:
in great detail i might add.

Nope.

The problem with learning a language like C++ is that it is so complex, and has such a convoluted history, that online resources - including posters to web forums - think they have covered it all when they haven't. And while you might not think you need to know all of C++, I guarantee that no one source will teach you everything you'll need. Why? Because you can't cover "black arts"-level subjects (e.g., metaclass hacking) with acolyte introductions in one volume.

Besides, there are free books online. Legally.

that's a nice list, thanks guys.

i know that most general introductary language books are huge, i just figured that if i get stuck on one part with one book maybe i could check it out in another book and they may come at it at a different angle, and that could help me figure it out. i'll more than likely look at web references too, i want to be able to understand as much as possible.

i'll mix it up as i start learning and make little projects along the way.

there's just things in C++ that wierd me out or leave me in the dark.

This topic is 4355 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.