*sigh* it's time to start doing instead of talking, but first a question

Started by
15 comments, last by econobeing 18 years, 3 months ago
a quick one, i've tried a few C++ ide/compiler combos, and i didn't like them, i like the VS.NET IDE. but i got a question, can i use the VC++ express 2005 IDE without using anything to do with .NET?
Advertisement
Yep. Just use "unmanaged C++".
Quote:Original post by econobeing
but i got a question, can i use the VC++ express 2005 IDE without using anything to do with .NET?

Yes [smile]
i see "empty project" in the new project list. i'm assuming i do that

then all i do after that is not add any references(i'm new to C++, i remember having to add references to the .NET namespaces in C#) to any of the .NET namespaces(namespaces right?)
Right. If you don't specify anything using .NET, you'll be using standard C++ (assuming you chose an empty C++ project, anyway)

It's actually a bit unfortunate that they chose to name it "Visual Studio .NET", because this is a common confusion, people thinking that there is a such thing as "Visual Studio NOT-.NET", which in all actuality Visual Studio .NET is Visual Studio 2003-2006.

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

great :]

thanks for all the help everybody!
oh oh, one more question.

is there anywhere i can see lists of classes and functions and such, something to the effect this page has for java?
Certainly!
It only takes one mistake to wake up dead the next morning.
if your coming out of C# into C++, C++/C doesnt use refrences they use libs, and linkers etc. a windows project would link a bunch of .lib files. instead of a windows project in C# would reference System.Windows.Forms.dll

managed C++ is microsofts attempt to make C++ a bit like C#, so just used unmanaged and its real C++ not microsofts ignorant attempt to change it. managed is still C++ but the functions an d classes are changed etc...

i reccomend this to get you started.
cool, thanks for the info, i'll check that site out too.

now i need a list of reading material, just got C++ Primer Plus 4th ed. i'm working on getting C++ How to Program (i liked the deitel C# book), C++ The Complete Reference 3rd ed, and Beginning C++ Game Programming. any others i should get?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement