Sign in to follow this  

seeking advice

This topic is 4353 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok it took me three days to transplant the a* algorithm from a well known tutorial on the aStar algorithm and put it in my game(and put a graphical grid on it). So now what can I look at? I want to make my guys fight, now, ontop of them knowing where to go. I'm into action games, And my favorite game is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2003 for the pc. The kind of game thats just basicly displaying as much advanced AI as street fighter or mortal kombat. Thats all that'd make me happi. I've been looking at finite state machines(FSM) and I'm wondering if I should just try to make everything up. [Edited by - respecto on January 11, 2006 12:22:14 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Just making things up should work. A large amount of video game AI is just quick and dirty tricks that were thought up on the spot and that work. More advanced AI seems in many cases to have just been invented on the spot by people with experience coming up with these tricks.

For making your characters fight, you can do simple things like periodically checking if the player is in range, or maybe close to being in range, and if so start an attack. To make things more interesting, many games have the enemies indicate in some way that they are about to attack, so the player can have a chance to dodge. Throw in some random decision making, some movement patterns, random movement, etc. and you have a nice fight scene going.

This topic is 4353 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.