Webcam issues

Started by
2 comments, last by Xeile 18 years, 3 months ago
Hello all, Currently I use Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) to get a videostream from a webcam and show it on a Window (HWND). I use Direct3D to build an image. Now I want to use the images I get from the videostream as the background for the images I create with Direct3D. My problem is, I cannot controle or access the data of the videostream. It seems to deploy the content of its own internal buffer directly on the canvas of the window. To take a picture would be possible, but it is not fast enough (the highest possible fps with this method would be around 1.2 fps, 1/10 of what is about the minimum). Does anyone have an idea how I could solve this problem, please note that I use a webcam, but can be any other device, as long as I can access the data the device sends. Thanks in advance, Xeile
Advertisement
For a bit more clearification, I use the Microsoft Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) API to access the webcam itself, I'm sure there are more APIs were I don't know the existance of. As long I can access the videodata, I can accomplish my goals.

Xeile
What you are after is the DirectShow SDK. It used to come with the DirectX SDK, but was recently dropped as it is being substituted with Something Better for Vista. DirectShow was removed from the Direct3D SDK in the DX9 April release. Earlier versions should have it.

Alternativly, you can use DSVideoLib. This is a lightweight SDK that is very easy to use:

http://www.ims.tuwien.ac.at/~thomas/dsvideolib.php

Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
What you are after is the DirectShow SDK. It used to come with the DirectX SDK, but was recently dropped as it is being substituted with Something Better for Vista. DirectShow was removed from the Direct3D SDK in the DX9 April release. Earlier versions should have it.

Alternativly, you can use DSVideoLib. This is a lightweight SDK that is very easy to use:

http://www.ims.tuwien.ac.at/~thomas/dsvideolib.php

Thanks alot for your input, trying out DSVideoLib now.

Regards,

Xeile

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement