[MDX] Redistributing the appropriate files

Started by
8 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 3 months ago
I have finally found out why I cannot give my DirectX application to other people. They are missing the following files in C:\Windows\assemply Microsoft.DirectX Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D Microsoft.Samples.DirectX.UtilityToolkit How can these be installed on a computer?? I tried checking the copy on compile feature but it generates an error. Also if I do not use the Publising Wizard what files do I need to create an installer from my application? [Edited by - jollyjeffers on January 11, 2006 7:16:10 AM]
Advertisement
"untitled" for a thread title isn't particularly informative, so I've edited to something more appropriate. Feel free to correct it if you'd prefer something else.

Anyway, as with all software you need to distribute any optional components that you use to build it against. It is simply unsafe to distribute just the binaries/data and assume that the end user has an up-to-date computer. This applies to the system-level components - it's still possible to find obscure configurations [wink]

Look into the DirectSetup part of the SDK help files and/or the 'redist' part of your SDK installation. You'll be able to generate an installer package that you can ship with your product.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Sorry about the title I forgot to enter it. Thanks for the information

Remember that breaking up the manged directx assemblies and only shipping a couple of them is against the licensing agreement. You have to ship the complete managed directx run time.
Mykre - BlogVirtual Realm :- XNA News and Resources from Down Under** For those Interested in an Australian XNA User Group Contact me though my site.
Distributing DirectX Applications.

The easiest way right now is to send the users to the all new, all singing and dancing web installer...

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3

after running that your users will have the directx core files, all versions of D3DX and all the managed run times files they will ever need.
ZMan
So basically they run that installer and everything coded against the -let's say- last two years of DirectX runtimes, D3DX DLL's and Managed DirectX libraries will simply run? Just like that? No user interaction with the installer required for installing all this?

That would be really neat :)
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
I'm not sure how far back it goes but thats the theory. If it doesn't then its a bug.

I suspect it covers all the DirectX9.0c files meaning that goes back to the Summer 04 SDK.
ZMan
Excellent, that should greatly simplify the tutorial I was planning to do on distributing MDX applications... And ease my own deployment troubles too, of course :)

Oh, and I guess we've got scooped on our info too by ZMan ;) Thanks for the post!
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
Quote:Original post by thezbuffer
I'm not sure how far back it goes but thats the theory. If it doesn't then its a bug.

I suspect it covers all the DirectX9.0c files meaning that goes back to the Summer 04 SDK.

This is correct. DirectX 9.0c and newer are covered.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement