Display very Huge Textures...

Started by
2 comments, last by paic 18 years, 3 months ago
Hello ! I'm currently working on a project to display some very huge pictures like 5000*5000 .... The goal of this project is to navigate (Pan and Zoom) over the image in "real time". To do this in real time, i need some data management in order to load and display only the visible part... I was planning to divide the picture using a kind of quadtree... If you know any good resources which can help me in the process of devellopping such an application, please let me know... Thanks a lot ! Clément Vidal
Advertisement
5000² isn't really that big. As uncompressed RGBA, that would be 100 megs. Compressed with S3TC/DXTC, you'd be at around 12.5 megs. Hardly something to worry about. Just cut it into a few smaller textures (2 * 2048 + 1 * 1024 per dimension is probably best), and just send everything to the video card.

Unless you don't want to use 3D acceleration. In that case, just dividing the image up into several smaller tiles should be enough. A hierarchical structure is not needed for this small amount of data.

What exactly are you trying to do ?
Texture clipmaps (inspiration for the geometry variety) are an option.
I would second AP's suggestion.
Here's the link to the .pdf The clipmap: A virtual mipmap

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement